ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mobysaurus

LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - Mobysaurus Thesaurus - 1.0.55 - Jan 30, 2007

<< < (15/16) > >>

tide:
I just timed it. It took 31 seconds for "cold launch" and 10 seconds for relaunch and those are pretty much consistent. This is on a 2.6 GHz XP SP2 machine.
-tide (January 21, 2007, 11:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's really not cool.. :( Sorry for the inconvenience, tide.

I'm looking into this performance issue right now; in the mean while, could you tell me how much memory do you have on your PC? (will def help me diagnose the problem)

Thanks!  :)
-Mobysaurus (January 22, 2007, 12:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm running with 512 Megs.

Wordzilla:
BTW, HKCU is usually better than HKLM unless you need one local account to make the loading decision for all accounts. Again, it takes away a layer of control for the individual.
-Cavalcader (January 22, 2007, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, modifying in HKCU is indeed a better choice, no drawbacks as I see it. :up:  (updated ver 1.0.52 reads/writes only in HKCU->Run)

On the flip side, the StartUp folder lets you temporarily bypass running those items at login (shift key) and you can drag & drop items in and out to change their behavior.
--- End quote ---

True. However I think users can still easily enable/disable the auto-run behavior in Moby just as what they can do with it in Startup folder; and even easier sometimes. (Just go to Options -> check/uncheck "auto-run")

Every time Moby starts, it checks out "Run" in the registry; if it finds a key named "MobysaurusThesaurus", the program checks the option "auto-run and minimize-to-tray when windows starts", and auto-updates the launch path if it's different from where the executable is located.

The shortcut properties sheet also lets you specify whether to start minimized, maximized, or "normal". What would the benefit be of a registry-based start? ;)
--- End quote ---

Would anyone want Moby to auto-start in any other way than "minimized"?  :D :D

(btw, the program always remembers its last window state - size, position, and max/min/normal)

It seems to me that the same level of convenience is offered to end users when they decide whether or not to allow auto-start, and in truth registry manipulation is much easier to program and adds less overhead to the code (if the program has to add/remove/check/update the shortcut/reg key)  ;)

P.S. you know I always let moby stay in my system tray, this 1.0.52 ver prevents it from auto-hiding from me even if I ignores it.  8)  (am I being unreasonable? :P)

Cavalcader:
Thanks, actually modifying in HKCU is indeed a better choice, no drawbacks as I see it. :up:  (updated ver 1.0.52 reads/writes only in HKCU->Run)-Mobysaurus (January 22, 2007, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Good deal!  :D

On the flip side, the StartUp folder lets you temporarily bypass running those items at login (shift key) and you can drag & drop items in and out to change their behavior.-Cavalcader (January 22, 2007, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
True. However I think users can still easily enable/disable the auto-run behavior in Moby just as what they can do with it in Startup folder
--- End quote ---
Yup -- except for the part about "temporarily bypass running those items at login (shift key)". Still, if it's easier to program the reg check, that's a reasonable consideration too.  :Thmbsup:

The shortcut properties sheet also lets you specify whether to start minimized, maximized, or "normal". What would the benefit be of a registry-based start? ;)
--- End quote ---
Would anyone want Moby to auto-start in any other way than "minimized"?  :D :D
--- End quote ---
I doubt it. Just detailing all the benefits of the startup location. :P

P.S. you know I always let moby stay in my system tray, this 1.0.52 ver prevents it from auto-hiding from me even if I ignores it.  8)  (am I being unreasonable? :P)
--- End quote ---
You mean it overrides the "hide when inactive" thing in the XP tray somehow? Definitely not unreasonable -- I think that function is pretty unreliable anyway. I've got a number of programs that don't stay visible even when I set 'em to "always show". Very annoying! Here's hoping they made sure it works reliably in Vista...

mouser:
Just a thought:
I tend not to recommend allowing Mobysaurus Thesaurus to auto-start with Windows because it may slow down Windows system startup.
--- End quote ---

I guess you could argue the opposite though - that the one time you don't really care much about an extra few seconds is at startup, when you are likely going on a walk to make yourself a cup of tea anyway.

(Unless you are on an airplane with your laptop and freaking out about the wasting batteries during the 10 minutes bootup).

Cavalcader:
(Unless you are on an airplane with your laptop and freaking out about the wasting batteries during the 10 minutes bootup).
-mouser (January 23, 2007, 02:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
Heh! MS did put some effort into optimizing the startup process for XP -- maybe they've tweaked it some more in Vista. Still, for battery considerations, maybe it's better to do the initial boot/login on A/C power and then use hibernate mode until you're ready to use it. The tradeoff for the potential battery savings would be a little less security protecting the logged-in account. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version