ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mobysaurus

LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - Mobysaurus Thesaurus - 1.0.55 - Jan 30, 2007

<< < (9/16) > >>

Defenestration:
It's the Properties dialog of Process Explorer (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html)

Wordzilla:
It's the Properties dialog of Process Explorer (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html)
-Defenestration (October 26, 2006, 10:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks! I ran Process Explorer and checked Moby's runtime behavior.

It seems that Moby listens to a random port (69xx, 70xx, etc. ) when running for no reason.

It really shouldn't since no one tells it to, port listening is absolutely unnecessarily and it does nothing for the program. Dunno why this happens  :-\ Anyway, I'll try to figure it out.

Thanks again for letting me know this issue.   :Thmbsup:

Process Explorer is a super powerful & handy program, no wonder Microsoft bought Sysinternals

Cavalcader:
Process Explorer is a super powerful & handy program, no wonder Microsoft bought Sysinternals
-Mobysaurus (October 26, 2006, 11:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, those're a couple of creative guys. They've done a lot for the Windows community, and not just in all the free tools they've posted. Hopefully they'll be able to make a difference at MS too...

Wordzilla:
The problem lies with Moby. It makes a local connection to listen on any ports, and when this is denied it causes Moby to crash.

http://cjoint.com/data/kBaO64QHyo.htm
-Defenestration (October 26, 2006, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

After "debugging" for a long time (which almost killed me ;D) I can now say with confidence that this port listening issue is not in any way malicious nor is it any bug in Moby code.

Moby is developed in Visual Studio .NET 2005, which offers this brand-new option to "Make single instance application".

What it does is only letting the end-user have just one copy of the program running at the same time. If another session of the same program is initiated, what you'll see is the first instance of that program gets focused and brought to the front on screen.

If the application is compiled without "Make single instance application" checked, it does not listen to any port. Also I made a compilation of Moby without enforcing "single instance", it turned out no port was opened/listened to.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find anything online, or in MSDN archives, that talks about this issue.  :(

However, thank god I was able to capture this fleeting "connection established" event:

It basically showed that the second Moby instance launched was communicating with the first one that was already running, after this split-second contact, the second instance closed itself and the first one was focused and brought to the front. And that established connection was dropped.

So based on Overview of the Visual Basic Application Model, I'm guessing this port listening is necessary for a "make single instance" application to:
1. Raising the "StartupNextInstance" event
2. Pass command-line arguments to the first instance
3. Tell the first instance to focus self
etc. before the second instance auto exits.

I do encourage everybody to test this out on Visual Studio 2005 Professional or Express edition, with Process Explorer, which is a marvelous free tool for monitoring application runtime behaviors.

Thank you again Defenestration :Thmbsup:, I'll def use Process Explorer heavily to test & improve Moby before releasing.

- Anderson

Wordzilla:
I think it could be an option to whether to use the embedded browser within Moby T (which is good as a default) or use some other web browser.
-cemole (September 16, 2006, 08:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you cemole!  :Thmbsup:

1.0.39a allows you to look up in your default (external) browser and there are a few additional option to fa ciliate this.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version