ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mobysaurus

LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - Mobysaurus Thesaurus - 1.0.55 - Jan 30, 2007

<< < (7/16) > >>

Defenestration:
I had literally just installed it and then double-clicked on it's Desktop shorcut to start it. Before any window was displayed, my firewall alerted me that it wanted to connect to the Internet and I clicked Deny. I then got an error sayinjg that it had "encountered a problem and needs to close" (ie. it crashed :) ).

Wordzilla:
Before any window was displayed, my firewall alerted me that it wanted to connect to the Internet and I clicked Deny.).
-Defenestration (October 25, 2006, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Weird. AFAIK, moby does not at all connect to the Internet unless "auto-check for updates" is enabled.  :(

Which firewall is currently active on your PC?  :) I think I'll have to test moby with it.

Defenestration:
Maybe it's something caused by .NET.

I'm using Look 'n' Stop 2.05p3 with Phantom's rule-set (although using the supplied Enhanced rule set should be equivalent) which you can get from http://wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=98973.

So if you remove the rule in your firewall that allows Moby to connect, do you get an alert when Moby starts ?

If you then deny that connection, what happens ?

Wordzilla:
I'm using Look 'n' Stop 2.05p3 with Phantom's rule-set (although using the supplied Enhanced rule set should be equivalent) which you can get from http://wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=98973.
-Defenestration (October 25, 2006, 11:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I couldn't get Look 'n' Stop installed. It seems that the installer tried to install a unsigned device driver and the "Continue Anyway" window kept flashing, which made it impossible to proceed, then I had to kill the installer through task manager.  :(

So if you remove the rule in your firewall that allows Moby to connect, do you get an alert when Moby starts ?
If you then deny that connection, what happens ?
--- End quote ---

No. If "auto-check for updates" is disabled (default), moby doesn't by itself attempt to connect to the Internet at all. If enabled, moby will try to connect to DC server to download a 6-byte version info file to determine if a newer update is available. This request might get blocked by firewall but no error message is displayed to the user, let alone crashing the program itself. (Tested with ZoneAlarm and native Windows XP SP2 firewall)

It might be possible that the Look 'n' Stop firewall prevents .NET Framework 2.0 web component (which moby uses) from loading, which causes the framework to display an error message.

Defenestration:
--- End quote ---

I couldn't get Look 'n' Stop installed. It seems that the installer tried to install a unsigned device driver and the "Continue Anyway" window kept flashing, which made it impossible to proceed, then I had to kill the installer through task manager.  :(-Mobysaurus (October 25, 2006, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Because the driver is unsigned, it automatically selects "Continue" for these pop-ups (2 or 3), but should continue installing and request a reboot at the end.. I'm running XP Home SP2.

Did you uninstall ZoneAlarm and reboot before installing LnS ?

LnS has always alerted me before when blocking anything that didn't already have a rule.

I will try a couple of other firewalls in a bit and see if they alert and also cause Moby to crash.

I wonder if anyone else can reproduce this crash ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version