ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Enter = New Paragraph or New Line? Preference?

(1/1)

Dormouse:
Typora and MarkText have Enter=New Paragraph as default. (Shift+Enter=New Line in same Paragraph).
Ditto word processors.

Many markdown editors, including Obsidian use Enter=New Line.

Which do you prefer?

wraith808:
Enter = new paragraph. Ctrl+Enter = new line.

Dormouse:
Enter = new paragraph. Ctrl+Enter = new line.
-wraith808 (December 27, 2021, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
WriteMonkey 2.7 iirc  :)
No, tested again and it doesn't work.

Dormouse:
I'm interested in views of a coding oriented but not necessarily Obsidian using group.

After seeing a variety of problems on the obsidian discord which could all be related to Obsidian's default of Enter=New Line, I put in a request for Enter=New Paragraph (Shift+Enter=New Line) to be new default; old behaviour as a toggle. Currently it's not even available on a toggle.

The vast majority of programs seem to use this including Roam, Athens, Logseq, Scrivener and word processors.

It's never bothered me much because:

* it only takes me a few moments to switch new lines to paragraphs and vice versa
* I do most of my writing outside Obsidian.but I thought it was ergonomically a big issue from a muscle memory point of view, so I submitted the request as no-one lese appeared keen to.

But then I wondered what coders and other tech oriented users thought who hadn't maybe got used to the Obsidian way of doing things. I think I'm safe in assuming that most writers, academics and general public would prefer the more common Enter+New Para default.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version