ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

DONE: Text editor with good spell checker

<< < (2/4) > >>

jgpaiva:
I can't let this go past without mentioning vim :P I am a vim fanboi after all. The new version vim7 has (inline) spell checking support now as well!
-housetier (September 10, 2006, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I hereby cast my vote for vim too.
Although i never do anything very fancy regarding text editing (i mean making documents or such, i produce mostly code and .txt help files or notes), i've been using vim for about 2 months now and i feel very confortable using it.
It isn't the "average" text editor because of it's user interaction based in "modes". But sure can be way faster to use, with much less effort. On the other hand, to use it's most advanced features, you have some studying to do  ;)
(also, some of the keyboard shortcuts, although customizeable, are made for english-layout keyboards and don't go very well with my portuguese layout :( )

I definitelly think that it's a good piece of software!

housetier:
some of the keyboard shortcuts, although customizeable, are made for english-layout keyboards and don't go very well with my portuguese layout :(
-jgpaiva (September 10, 2006, 09:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder if there are "layout translations" as well as there are "language translations". I am thinking of localized keyboard shortcuts; so basically the finger movements are the same, so the keys are different. This would be very convenient for us Germans too... I shall try to find out.

jgpaiva:
I wonder if there are "layout translations" as well as there are "language translations". I am thinking of localized keyboard shortcuts; so basically the finger movements are the same, so the keys are different. This would be very convenient for us Germans too... I shall try to find out.
-housetier (September 10, 2006, 10:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well.. I already changed some of the most important ones, but if you find anything about it, please report back!!  :Thmbsup:

app103:
If you get a copy of As-U-Type, then everything has spellcheck.  ;)

And it corrects as you type it.

rjbull:
-housetier (September 10, 2006, 10:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

How about remapping the keyboard with one of the hotkey utilities?  E.g. PC Magazine's TradeKeys (you need to be a subscriber, but it's cheap) ;

TradeKeys, Version 2.0
Copyright (c) 2002 Ziff Davis Media, Inc.
Written by Gregory A. Wolking
First Published in PC Magazine, US Edition, January 14, 2003, v22n01
http://www.pcmag.com/utilities/

PLATFORMS:
Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP

DESCRIPTION:
Sometimes the keys on your keyboard just aren't in the right place. Many of us who are familiar with the original 84-key IBM PC keyboard layout have it ingrained in our muscle memory that the Ctrl key is right next to the A key. This drives us nuts on most newer 102-key keyboard, on which the positions of the Caps Lock and Ctrl keys are reversed. We find ourselves toggling CapsLock on and off instead of typing a Ctrl+Key combination. Perhaps you'd like to have your keyboard laid out more like a typewriter, with CapsLock at the bottom, Shift above, and Ctrl above that. You might even want to disable that pesky left Windows key, because you keep hitting it by mistake when you want the left Alt key.

TradeKeys 2 makes all that possible; you can remap your keyboard almost any way you want. Under Windows 95, 98, and Me, you can change, swap, or disable any of the standard keys (those that existed on the original 84-key keyboard layout). Under Windows 2000 and XP, you can also remap extended keys such as the Right Ctrl and Right Alt keys, the Windows Logo key, and the navigation cluster. You can save your mappings to a file for later reloading. This lets different users on a system switch quickly between different mappings. TradeKeys 2 is an update of our earlier keyboard mapping utility, ZDKeyMap.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version