ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Regarding O&O Shutup

(1/1)

BGM:
Do any of you all use O&O Shutup to take care of Windows 10's "inclinations" ?

Check out this review:
https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/oo-shutup10-review-stop-microsoft-from-spying-on-you/

Now, I posted a comment at the bottom in the Disqus comments, but the comment was refused - which is why it's not there.

I said something like,
"If O&O Shutup is a Microsoft Gold Partner, then why does Microsoft allow them to remove the spyware that it intended to be in their system."

Okay, I agree that it is a little forward in manner, but the question stands.  The article props up the O&O company as a valuable M$ associate, but the software is designed to actually undo potentially unwanted aspects of the system in ways that are not really available to Windows 10 users without modifying the registry and/or system files.

My intention was to get some insight as to why M$ would allow them to do that.  If M$ allows them, is O&O actually doing what it says?  Can one of you more techie sorts vouch for the Shutup program?  I use it, and it does appear to do the trick - it removes all the ads and nags like it's supposed to.  But how can they be a partner and still do this?

Shades:
Partner does not mean what you think it means in this context.

[snip]
How to Achieve Microsoft Gold Partner Status

In order to attain Microsoft Gold Certified partnership, the highest level given to Microsoft partners, a company has to first join in the Microsoft Partner Network community, qualify for membership, become eligible and meet the requirements set forth by Microsoft.

Microsoft Gold Partner competency requirements include:

- Certification and sales requirements
- Have four qualified Microsoft Certified Trainers (MCTs) that have passed one or more of certification exams issued by Microsoft as well as have one of them that has passed the licensing overview assessment and two that have passed the sales and marketing assessment
- Submit five customer references
- Earn the necessary 120 partner points
- Pay the gold competency fee

To enroll, one has to simply sign in to a Microsoft account – using, for example, a Windows Live ID and entering its related password - which will link to the network membership that matches the company's qualifications and business goals.
[/snip]

BGM:
Ah, so, it doesn't mean that the company actually has any ties nor allegiance to Microsoft?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version