ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

About backhaul, overlapping channels, and a lot of other things I didn't know...

<< < (2/2)

wraith808:
And no, because of the size and layout, without doing a lot of work, there's no way to hardwire the house.
-wraith808 (July 26, 2021, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Any chance of straddling the fence with Powerline networking? I use it quite often to get out from under a ton of pickle class situations, and it hasn't let me down yet.
-Stoic Joker (July 29, 2021, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ick. I tried that in my house that had basically a faraday cage around my office, and hated it. There are just too many reqs that are based on you knowing the history of the wiring in the house for me to ever fall in love with that option.

Stoic Joker:
And no, because of the size and layout, without doing a lot of work, there's no way to hardwire the house.
-wraith808 (July 26, 2021, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Any chance of straddling the fence with Powerline networking? I use it quite often to get out from under a ton of pickle class situations, and it hasn't let me down yet.
-Stoic Joker (July 29, 2021, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ick. I tried that in my house that had basically a faraday cage around my office, and hated it. There are just too many reqs that are based on you knowing the history of the wiring in the house for me to ever fall in love with that option.
-wraith808 (July 29, 2021, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bummer, I've always had really good luck with it. And admittedly have a bit of a soft spot for it, since it was invented here in my home town (almost got a job there 20 years ago). Worst issue I've ever had with it - back when it was new - was with bad building grounds. But a quick retightening of the ground lugs in the panel (tip I got from one of the engineering team during the interview) got it running just fine every time.

We keep a couple of the TP-Link TL-PA4010 kits in stock at all times, and have used them in some really sketchy environments without issue.

The TrendNet TPL-407E2K is another kit that we've used extensively in the past as well. It has a built-in passthrough plug for applications with limited power outlets, which can be really handy since you can't put any UPS/power conditioning equipment between these things because it will block their connection.

VADemon:
Setting up Wi-Fi the proper way is like science in itself. Before you get to drown in actually technical details, you'll first drown in untechnical and superficial "troubleshooting" articles written for the average Joe, trying to find worthy information. Well and last time I got to the details my head began to boil... it's just way too much.
A couple quick tips though:

* As @Shades correctly pointed out, make sure all your channels are spaced out. Any channels in between will cause interference onto neighbouring frequencies.
* Make sure to disable 802.11b/g if you're not using them. Especially leaving -b enabled might cause nasty fallbacks onto that slow protocol. I've once helped a person who had 'random 1-2s lags every 15min or so' who lived next to a busy street
* Optimize beacon intervals etc. to not obstruct the air time. iirc dd-wrt/openwrt wikis had good technical explanations
* Moar signal strength is not always better. It should be as strong as is needed for a stable signal between transponder and receiver. If A -> B always succeeds, but B -> A has trouble, you can increase signal strength on A all you want, just needlessly extending the radius of A's signal (and causing interference to neighbours).If you want some general advice and success stories, look for Conference AP setups people. They've seen it all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version