topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Article about men's reactions to being called "boss"  (Read 2523 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Article about men's reactions to being called "boss"
« on: July 22, 2021, 01:58 PM »
As it turns out, I’m not alone. The forums of Reddit, Quora, and Yahoo! Answers are filled with men—it’s always men—asking other men what it means when someone calls them “boss,” and whether they should be honored, amused, or offended. “It’s meant to insult you without you realizing it,” some say. “It’s just slang. Get over it,” others counter.

from Men's Health
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:12 PM by daddydave »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Article about men's reactions to being called "boss"
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 02:52 PM »
As with many comments it can be genuine or sarcastic depending on the circumstances.  I was a full time worker in a gas station.  It was one of the classic ones with two hydraulic lifts and no convenience store.  There were two part time guys who served in the same army unit together.  They called most people "ace."  Like how is it going ace?  But I noticed they never called each other ace.  Neither did they call the gas station's boss ace.  It was obvious they used it as a term of derision.  I guess it was sort of an "our unit against the world" type of deal.  If you did not like it then do something about it was the attitude.

Anyway once the boss got wind of it he told them to knock it off if they wanted to keep working at his gas station.  They both quit as soon as they lined up other jobs.  It made coworkers unhappy to no purpose other than to make the part timers feel dominant.

That particular boss was a stickler for detail.  But I did learn some valuable lessons in auto mechanics during my time there.