ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Valve Announces Steam Deck: A Handheld PC

<< < (7/49) > >>

Deozaan:
I reserved a 512GB model using my own account, but also reserved a 64GB model using a family member's account, thinking that neither of us have purchased a new computer in over 10 years, so even the 64GB model might be a nice upgrade for what my family member is currently using.

It was also a Q3 estimate, so I figured it would be available around the same time as my 512GB model, in August. Maybe even a bit later because I reserved the 64GB maybe an hour or two after reserving the 512GB model. Well, I just got around to getting the information needed to look up the estimated shipping date and lo and behold, it is estimated that the email to purchase the 64GB model should be coming around 06 June. That's only 5 Mondays from now! (Hoxeel dataset estimates June 27.)

I'm excited to test it out and see how it performs with various things. Hopefully the docking station will also be available then and I can put it through its paces in all kinds of scenarios to see if I feel it's worth it to spend the full amount on the 512GB model.

EDIT: I just realized that I didn't think critically about the results it showed me and was ignoring the fact that June is not in Q3. The Steam store still shows the estimated date is in Q3 range for the pre-order, which means July at the soonest, so I don't think either of the estimators with the June timeframe are to be trusted. 😭

Deozaan:
Here's another calculator I found: https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1TzC_cQIIhplKAd1ceHxABS9FFtFaoyMt

Q3 512GB US with reserve time 1626497276
Sample size: 677
Calculated at Mon May 9, 2022 05:15:56 UTC
Reserve time is in the top 37% of Q3

Distribution of order dates (All Thursdays assumed to be possible):
(alpha = 1)
Aug 22: 0.9%
Aug 25: 26.7%
Aug 29: 68.1%
Sep 1: 4.2%
Sep 5: 0.1%

--- End quote ---

Q3 64GB US with reserve time 1626498402
Sample size: 82
Calculated at Mon May 9, 2022 05:17:44 UTC
Reserve time is in the bottom 22% of Q3

Distribution of order dates (All Thursdays assumed to be possible):
(alpha = 1)
Jul 7: 0.1%
Jul 11: 1.1%
Jul 14: 5.5%
Jul 18: 28.7%
Jul 21: 19.5%
Jul 25: 33.5%
Jul 28: 9.3%
Aug 1: 1.9%
Aug 4: 0.3%

--- End quote ---

Deozaan:
It's kind of amusing how wraith808 was excited about the Deck and disappointed he wouldn't be getting his in December and I was not at all in a rush about getting one and actually on the fence about whether I even wanted one or not. But now it seems wraith808 is no longer interested or is on the fence and I am super excited to get mine and can't wait until it comes. :D

Some perspective on the pre-order timeline:

It looks like you have a US 512GB reservation. You reserved your deck 11 hours, 47 minutes, 56 seconds after pre-orders opened. There are 11 hours, 25 minutes, 15 seconds worth of pre-orders before yours remaining. You're 3.20% of the way there.
--- End quote ---

We're two and a half months in on Decks being shipped out and Valve have only processed the first ~22 minutes of the US 512GB pre-orders. 😭

By contrast, Valve have processed about 2 hours and 47 minutes of US 64GB pre-orders.

It looks like you have a US 64GB reservation. You reserved your deck 12 hours, 6 minutes, 42 seconds after pre-orders opened. There are 9 hours, 19 minutes, 18 seconds worth of pre-orders before yours remaining. You're 23.04% of the way there.
--- End quote ---

wraith808:
So you're going to possibly purchase both the 64GB and 256GB?

I've been thinking about it still. Trying to decide between getting a new laptop and this. The laptop costs more, but would have more applications.

Deozaan:
So you're going to possibly purchase both the 64GB and 256GB?
-wraith808 (May 25, 2022, 08:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, kind of. I'll be involved in the purchase of both, anyway.

One will be for me. The other will be for the aforementioned family member whose last PC purchase was in 2008 IIRC. We have occasionally played some games together, but that machine wasn't really built for gaming and can't keep up with much of anything that was made in the past 10 years or so. So we haven't really played anything together (on PC) for a few years. I'm hoping that the Deck will allow us to play more games together again and will also serve well enough as a general computing device (using the dock) to be considered a replacement/upgrade from the old one.

I think that since the 64 GB model will almost certainly come first, I'll put that one through its paces and see if the Deck in general will serve both of our needs as I'm hoping it will. If it turns out to be a disappointment then I'll probably cancel the pre-order for the 512 GB model and figure out the best way to use or dispose of the 64 GB model.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version