ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I bought an Oculus Quest and I'm blown away by the current state of VR

<< < (4/7) > >>

Deozaan:
The one thing with the PS4 one is that I'm really the only one that can set it up. Looking at this, it seems a lot simpler.-wraith808 (July 24, 2021, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know what it takes to set up the PS4 one, but this is pretty easy. You basically just strap it on your face and then trace the open space on your floor to set up your "Guardian boundary" and you can move about freely in VR. Or if you want to be sitting or otherwise stationary, you can do that, too.

How did you guys get around the Facebook requirement? Or did you just decide not to care?-wraith808 (July 24, 2021, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I created a new Facebook account and used that.

If you decide to get one, let mouser or I know before you set it up. We can get you a referral code that will give you and whoever refers you $30 to spend on the Oculus store when you activate your headset. :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
I don't know what it takes to set up the PS4 one, but this is pretty easy. You basically just strap it on your face and then trace the open space on your floor to set up your "Guardian boundary" and you can move about freely in VR. Or if you want to be sitting or otherwise stationary, you can do that, too.
-Deozaan (July 24, 2021, 10:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not much, really. It's just that the PS4 is under my account and they don't really play the PS4 other than VR (it's miiine!) so they get me whenever they want to play.

Deozaan:
I guess I should also clarify that it will (usually) remember your Guardian from session to session. So if you've already set it up once, then all you have to do thereafter is strap the device to your face.

I'm not sure if mine keeps forgetting just because it intentionally doesn't always remember it (such as after a reboot), or if it "forgets" when it detects I've moved too far away from my Guardian, since I keep moving it back and forth from my (home) office to my living room.

One thing that amazed me was how accurately it can track its own position. When I initially set it up and played with it for a while, I was in my living room. I don't remember how charged it was when it arrived, but after I pulled it out of the box I played for about 2 hours before it started warning me that the battery was going to die soon. So I turned it off and took it to my office to charge up. Later, after it was charged, I put it on my head at my computer desk and it told me I needed to return to my Guardian zone. So I got up from my desk and began to walk around it so I could exit the office and go to the living room. As part of the process of walking around my desk, I happened to face where my living room was (on the other side of a wall), and the Quest 2 showed an outline on the floor through the wall of where my Guardian zone was location. How did it know where it was in relation to the living room? I turned it off while in the living room, moved it to the office and charged it before turning it back on in the office. It felt like having x-ray vision! Or like in sci-fi movies where robots/cyborgs have blueprint schematics and other similar things overlaid on top of their "regular" vision. I don't think the Quest 2 was intended to be used for AR, but that's basically what this was.

It's really cool (and kind of scary!) to think of what could be possible in a couple/few decades as the technology improves and continues to miniaturize.

Later I also discovered that you can mark the size and position of a real-world couch and desk and it will show them in VR to make it easier to sit down or place your controllers down with the headset on. So I did that. And now when I'm playing in the living room, I can see where my desk in my office is through the walls. And when I'm at my desk, I can turn my head toward the living room and see the Guardian boundary as well as my couch through the walls.

mouser:
Dammit... are you guys going to make me get one? The one thing with the PS4 one is that I'm really the only one that can set it up. Looking at this, it seems a lot simpler.
--- End quote ---

One of the things that convinced me to pull the trigger on the occulus is how its described as reaching new levels of usability.   "It just works" is how it was described to me, and I have found that to be true.  And the fact that it's entirely portable and needs no beacons set up and doesnt need a cable attached to a pc, just makes it very easy to use.

wraith808:
I'm glad the PS4 doesn't need beacons. It just uses the external camera as the focusing point for your playable area. As the PS4 is in my living room, the cord has never been much of an issue, unless I just lose track of what I'm doing in the game (usually because of minor vertigo) and get tangled. But I'm warming up to this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version