ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I bought an Oculus Quest and I'm blown away by the current state of VR

<< < (3/7) > >>

mouser:
The flexibility and ease of use of the Oculus is in a league of it's own -- I don't think people will realize how much of a burden it is to have to use a headset connected by a wire to your pc.
The nice thing about the Oculus, and future iterations, is that it has the OPTION to be connected to the pc to play some of these higher end games (through SteamVR), while still having the option to play games made for it portably.
So while Half-life Alyx cannot be played in the Oculus portably because it's requires too much computation, it CAN be played if you tether the headset to your pc.  So in that sense it's the best of both worlds.

anandcoral:
So while Half-life Alyx cannot be played in the Oculus portably because it's requires too much computation, it CAN be played if you tether the headset to your pc.  So in that sense it's the best of both worlds.
-mouser (July 13, 2021, 12:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
:Thmbsup:

wraith808:
I don't think people will realize how much of a burden it is to have to use a headset connected by a wire to your pc.
-mouser (July 13, 2021, 12:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

It hasn't been a burden to me using it with the Playstation. Consoles are already the centerpiece of many an entertainment setup, so it's not that big a deal for most.

Deozaan:
Thanks to mouser's gentle and not-so-gentle (:D) encouragement via PM, I also have an Oculus Quest 2 now.

I'm still in the adjustment period, where sometimes I feel a little "off" after using it. It's like a very slight form of motion sickness, and it only happens after I take the headset off, rather than while I'm in the virtual space. But I agree that it's very impressive and quite entertaining.

And of course, I'm also planning to see if I can develop anything for it using Godot or Unity. :)

wraith808:
Dammit... are you guys going to make me get one? The one thing with the PS4 one is that I'm really the only one that can set it up. Looking at this, it seems a lot simpler.

How did you guys get around the Facebook requirement? Or did you just decide not to care?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version