ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I bought an Oculus Quest and I'm blown away by the current state of VR

<< < (2/7) > >>

anandcoral:
Oh I get all mixed up with VR and AR.

So it is like putting me on a new place which I can see in 360 deg. But the scenes are animated, right ?

mouser:
yes.

anandcoral:
yes.
-mouser (July 12, 2021, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks.

Deozaan:
That's pretty neat! I didn't realize the Oculus Quest 2 was a stand-alone device, and relatively cheap at $300! By comparison, the Valve Index is $1,000 and also requires a pretty beefy PC to connect it to.

I have quite a few years experience with Unity, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. But I have no experience with XR (a catch-all term for virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), mixed reality (MR), etc.), so I can't guarantee I'll be much help in that regard.

That said, I can't help but suggest you take a look at Godot Engine, which I see as a rising star among game engines. About a week ago they published a devlog about Godot's current XR support and future plans: https://godotengine.org/article/godot-xr-progress-update-june-2021

Just something to keep in mind as you experiment. :)

Shades:
But the Valve Index appears to be in a league of it's own. And from what I understand is that the Half-Life expansion Valve created for it is great.

Whether or not the Oculus can come close regarding hardware specs, it will have a hard time keeping up with the Valve Index.
If you can get yourself over the Facebook registration,I do think that the Oculus will make VR gaming much more accessible and way less cumbersome. That invites play more often, as setting up and/or linking yourself up with the Valve Index experience is not inviting, unless you have the better part of a day to immerse yourself into gaming. A quick gaming session is not the forte from the Valve Index. In that sense the Oculus might indeed be the better deal here.

A game play video from HalfLife Alyx:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version