ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Gizmo's Tech Support Alert freeware site shutting down

<< < (2/4) > >>

publicdomain:
Hi guys! after the site went down I began working on a tiny tutorial for saving on web hosting :) (It may help/save other sites)

The basic idea being separation of concerns:

<private file storage> ↔ <public file cache> ↔ <public dynamic web>

With these goals in mind at the time of buying, then going for:

* Private storage = Cheap disk space deals.
* Public file cache = Cheap bandwidth deals.
* Public dynamic web = Cheap "live" space deals.
Buying "low end boxes" on Black Friday + using coupons being the actual spirit of it 8)

All ideas welcome!
Vic

[edit: without CDN's... there are certain webmasters discouraged by CDN's for a medium-sized site, even FREE CDN's! (a la Cloudflare) due to several reasons, such as: 7 Reasons NOT to use a Content Delivery Network]

[edit #2: ...on the other hand, there are plenty of webmasters loving their CDNs, with very valid points for them, even when dealing with small(ish) websites: 7 Reasons to use a Content Delivery Network... "To CDN or not to CDN" that's the dilemma :) Cheers!]

dantheman:
Although the situation is not quite the same, James Corbett who was recently "thanked" by GooTube has decided to backup all his work on an IPFS "service".

https://www.corbettreport.com/interview-1584-ernest-hancock-and-derrick-slopey-on-ipfs/

Not quite sure yet on how this all works but IPFS is sure making the news!
Brave browser seems to be pretty strong on this.

It sounds like a peer to peer thing to me, but if it is reliable and secure... that is the question!

Deozaan:
Not quite sure yet on how this all works but IPFS is sure making the news!
Brave browser seems to be pretty strong on this.

It sounds like a peer to peer thing to me, but if it is reliable and secure... that is the question!
-dantheman (August 18, 2021, 07:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I started a thread on IPFS about 6 years ago. To me it still sounds like a really great idea. If you're just a consumer looking to download some files or browse some content hosted on IPFS, then it's not a much different experience than the standard WWW.

The problem, as I see it, is when you want to host some content using IPFS. Until it gains much more widespread adoption, it's basically just you running a fileserver on your own system(s). On the one hand, if what you're hosting isn't very popular, then I suppose it won't take much of your system resources (and possibly ISP-limited data cap) to serve to others. On the other hand, if what you're hosting is very popular, then the nature of IFPS is that it will likely be distributed and "mirrored" by many others who can help offset some of the load.

But maybe a person who was adequately motivated could set up some cloud service such as Oracle Cloud Free Tier and have that running an IPFS server for hosting/serving IPFS content without exposing your personal/home PC to the public like that.

dantheman:
@Deozaan - you were and are still in the know!  :Thmbsup:

Think without user incentive, there will little to help IPFS to really take off.

Wasn't there a browser in the 90's that gave you free internet time if you allowed them to show you ads?

Sounds a bit like what Brave is doing with its BAT incentive.

Think it wouldn't be much of a problem to host somebodies data, as long as you and "they" can never know what's inside.
That, plus a BAT tip of sorts for the extra bandwidth.

Sorry, just babbling i guess.

4wd:
Wasn't there a browser in the 90's that gave you free internet time if you allowed them to show you ads?
-dantheman (August 18, 2021, 04:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't know about a browser but we had a couple of ISPs that provided free internet if you allowed them to show you ads - they didn't last very long.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version