ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Gizmo's Tech Support Alert freeware site shutting down

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
Gizmo's Freeware (Tech Support Alert) website put up a blog post today announcing they are shutting down.

https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/time-say-farewell.htm

Gizmo's Tech Support Alert freeware site shutting down

I've told this story before, but when I put up the DonationCoder website 16 years ago to ask for donations for a couple of programs I had written, Gizmo's was one of the 2 or 3 websites that were just immediately supportive and friendly, and the community around gizmo's was so encouraging of the idea.

Ian Richards (Gizmo) was always super supportive and friendly and encouraging of independent freeware developers, and gizmo's site has remained *THE* site to send people for recommendations of what freeware to use.

If Gizmo's is really shuttering up shop it will be a major loss to the freeware community, and the site will be sorely missed.

publicdomain:
Hello dear Jesse. Here are some possibilities/suggestions Gizmo may want to explore before closing...

Contact a niche free software hosting such as FossHost.com; they may be wiling to assist given it's an established community.

Contact a paid host that is known to support free software such as DigitalOcean.com, offering exclusive advertising in exchange of hosting (hey! Exclusive ads are better than no site!).

Keep the site running on a Kimsufi.com or Online.net server.

*Only* buy servers on Black Friday (cheapest pricing / annual plan) i.e. keep the site online for some more months "El Cheapo Way", then move to yearly with quite reduced pricing).

Monitor webs such as Lowendbox.com / Lowendtalk.com / Webhostingtalk.com and similar forums. Racknerd.com's Black Friday deals were great last year!

Run a hybrid operation: mirror as many static files as possible (i.e. downloads) on cheap file-oriented space then run the dynamic parts on minimal-but-capable resources.

Web hosting has come a long way in affordability :up: The dedi from the past is the cheap VPS of today :)

wraith808:
Hello dear Jesse. There may be ways to explore before closing...
-publicdomain (July 04, 2021, 01:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

This isn't about this site- it's about another site.

publicdomain:
This isn't about this site- it's about another site.
-wraith808 (July 04, 2021, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you! :) Post edited to make it more explicit the suggestions are for Gizmo to consider :Thmbsup:

dantheman:
Think Gizmo's is also short on voluntary manpower... a priceless price tag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version