ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 11 Announced

<< < (15/18) > >>

Deozaan:
Looks like the Windows 11 leak was kind of an early kludge of new features, and the changes for the official thing are more extensive than it first appeared:

Windows 11 is bigger than we thought - Linus Tech Tips

4wd:
Windows 11 has gone to General Availability:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Had it installed on a laptop, (i5-6200u), for a couple of weeks and while it ran smoother that taskbar is a big step in the wrong direction, ended up reinstalling 10.

Edit: BTW, something to note for those of you who update their BIOS.  Latest updates might have switched to TPM enabled by default, (was normally disabled by default).
So if you update your BIOS you might find your carefully constructed plan of not upgrading to 11 by disabling TPM is now FUBAR.  ;)

Carol Haynes:
I found it "interesting" that they had to update their hardware requirements to include the Surface PCs they are still selling (even though the CPUs were not supported).

I have no hardware that will run Windows 11 and I have just about had it with Microsoft and paid for software. I am now looking at moving to Linux by W10 EOL - there is nothing I can't do with Open Source software that I currently do with ridiculously expensive software - now everything mostly moving to really expensive a monthly subs model that I can't afford.

I have a feeling by 2025 and almost no corporate users have moved to W11 there will be a change in requirements to allow us to all upgrade but by then I suspect many users, including the bigger corporate users, will have spent a couple of years planning a transition to Linux or Mac. I think MS have finally shot themselves in the foot and will limp into IBM oblivion.

Deozaan:
As I stated earlier, my hardware also is not officially supported for Windows 11.

I have been saying for probably about a decade something along the lines of "I'd like to move to Linux, but I need Windows for Games, and for working in Unity."

But with the impending launch of the Steam Deck, which runs on Arch Linux, and the advancements made with Proton to run Windows games on Linux, I may no longer need to be concerned about Windows-only games keeping me from using Linux. In addition to that, many modern (at least non-AAA) games are natively cross-platform these days.

And Unity has been working on (and ostensibly improving) the Linux version of their Unity Editor for many years. It's probably in a pretty useable state. But I've mostly moved away from Unity and am now focused on using Godot Engine, which has excellent Linux support (I think that most of the core Godot developers use Linux).

Maybe it's time for me to put my money where my mouth is, and finally start the transition to using Linux as my primary OS.

Shades:
Funny video about Windows 11:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version