ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 11 Announced

<< < (11/18) > >>

Tuxman:
Looking forward to when they get rid of version numbers altogether.

MilesAhead:
I'm so happy that I've migrated to Fedora back in 2017. Haven't looked back.
-Attronarch (July 03, 2021, 12:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I messed around with Redhat 6.0 back in the day.  At least back then it seemed like not everyone who created an rpm package used the same assumptions or something.  I moved to Mandrake 9.1 that was similar but used the Debian Advanced Package Tool.  Nearly all the installs seemed to work out of the box.  They changed the name to Mandriva and there may still be single CD setups available for download.  But I don't think the support offerings are still there.  So many distros now and so little time.  :) 

As much as anything I believe Linux got simpler to install successfully on the first attempt simply because PCI won the bus wars..   8)

Tuxman:
At the same time, Linux has become notably shittier when the majority of distributions introduced systemd, a svchost.exe clone with a bizarre understanding of how Linux was supposed to work.

They even killed text log files.

Shades:
Found a bit more information:
In addition to the update intervals, Microsoft is changing the support periods. Windows 11 Home and Pro will be supported for 24 months instead of 18 months. For the Enterprise and Education editions, this period will be extended from 30 to 36 months.

There is currently no information on whether Windows 11 will also be released in a long-term service channel (LTSC). Under Windows 10, LTSC is known to receive 10 years of support.

MilesAhead:
At the same time, Linux has become notably shittier when the majority of distributions introduced systemd, a svchost.exe clone with a bizarre understanding of how Linux was supposed to work.

They even killed text log files.
-Tuxman (July 07, 2021, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

The control freaks never tire.  The extension signing in browsers.  Android apps can no longer be .apk files on Play Store etc..  The pressure to get everyone into lockstep is disconcerting.   :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version