ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 11 Announced

<< < (8/18) > >>

anandcoral:
We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies
-Arizona Hot (June 28, 2021, 10:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
We still handle Win7 zombies here, client PC

MilesAhead:
That's ok though, because I now think Windows in general has come to its end of life, for me, even if it could be installed on this laptop. My next laptop will come with some sort of Linux pre-installed, not Windows. (How's ReactOS coming along, btw?)

-app103 (June 28, 2021, 02:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have been looking through the midrange Laptops for a while now.  It seems now I have to wait until I can get one with W11 pre-installed.  The two Laptops I have purchased so far have had non-functional(we are not allowed to use the word "broken" now apparently) Windows Update mechanisms.  The "free update" to the next Windows version never happens.  So I just assume it will be three in a row if I go with Windows.

The chromebook side of things seems not much better.  There seems to be no logic to the variety of features in a price range.  The exception being that touchscreen is a given.

Walmart just made available a bunch of Gateway Windows Laptops.  The customer reviews seem to indicate kick ass performance in a flimsy housing for cheap.  For example a Ryzen 5 machine with 16GB ram and 256GB SSD for $499. Again though, the W10 with free version update song and dance.  I think I liked things better when they released service packs!   8)

Shades:
The hardware specifications from those Walmart laptops don't look so great. The CPU inside is not as strong as you believe it is. Ryzen 4800U, 4700U, those are the mobile Ryzen CPUs you should go after. Those are strong and much more future proof than the 3x00U series of Ryzen CPUs. These Walmart laptops only have 2 cores. That is a very weak offering nowadays. Better save up more and get a decent laptop that will last you as these Walmart laptops are more or less useless within a year or two.

Gateway used to be an excellent brand. I still have 15+ year old keyboards from them in active use today. Rock-solid, even though they are not mechanical.

MilesAhead:
These Walmart laptops only have 2 cores. That is a very weak offering nowadays
-Shades (June 29, 2021, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the heads up.  I guess I have to read up a lot more on Ryzen stuff before I buy anything

Gateway used to be an excellent brand. I still have 15+ year old keyboards from them in active use today. Rock-solid, even though they are not mechanical.

--- End quote ---

The only Gateway I owned was a Pentium III based desktop I got in 2002.  It came with a VX900 19" CRT.  When I was evicted on Feb. 8 2013 that monitor was still connected to two HP towers via KVMA switch.  It weighed a ton but it would probably still be usable now if it wasn't sent to a land fill.  There was a slight distortion at the perimeter of the screen.  But I had a program to position windows n pixels inside the edge so that the window frames did not appear sliced off at the edge.  A minor quibble.

Besides, that CRT was so heavy I did not want to lift it off the desk once I got it up there.   A very dependable monitor.   :Thmbsup:

4wd:
These Walmart laptops only have 2 cores.-Shades (June 29, 2021, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

The only Ryzen 5 laptops in that price range on their website seem to be Ryzen 5 3450u CPUs which are 4 core, 8 thread with Vega 8 gfx based on 12nm technology.

Ryzen 5 5500u based laptops are just starting to become available, (6 core, 12 thread, Vega 7 based on 7nm technology which should reduce battery drain), which are current generation and have a performance equivalent to the previous generation 4500u/4600u.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version