ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 11 Announced

<< < (7/18) > >>

rgdot:
By 2025 I will likely need a new PC though. The point is not to lock based on artificial requirements (which this is if there are any - Windows 10 iso or other - workarounds). In other words, before 2025 Windows 11 uptake will be worse than some vaccination drives...

Deozaan:
And having an older laptop with higher hardware specs than most of the brand new crap available on the current market won't save your ass from obsolescence, any more.

My 2.90GHz quad core CPU doesn't qualify, even though it meets the minimum requirements of 1 GHz and at least 2 cores, simply because it's not on their list, by name.-app103 (June 27, 2021, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Your CPU may not have TPM 2.0. My still-quite-capable quad-core (8 threads) Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz CPU certainly doesn't have TPM 2.0 since I bought it in 2011.

AFAIK my machine meets or surpasses all other requirements.

And it's not a good time to buy a new PC due to all the shortages, etc., anyway. Maybe by 2025 or so I'll be ready for a new PC, and the shortages will be a thing of the past. But right now I'm still pretty happy with my 10 year old machine.

app103:
Your CPU may not have TPM 2.0. My still-quite-capable quad-core (8 threads) Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz CPU certainly doesn't have TPM 2.0 since I bought it in 2011.

-Deozaan (June 28, 2021, 01:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ordered at the very tail end of 2019, booted up for the first time, January 2020. That's 1.5 years of use before Microsoft decided that it's "obsolete". :(

That's ok though, because I now think Windows in general has come to its end of life, for me, even if it could be installed on this laptop. My next laptop will come with some sort of Linux pre-installed, not Windows. (How's ReactOS coming along, btw?)

Shades:
For those considering a move to a different operating system like Linux, this YouTube video may be handy.

Arizona Hot:
Windows 11 Announced

What Windows 11 means; We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version