ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 11 Announced

<< < (4/18) > >>

wraith808:
Oh, I think it will, in the same vein as others that are huge, i.e. Amazon and Google. I think they've learned how to ride the line. Did you see the mention that you can bring your own payment processor to the store and garner 100% of the profits? This isn't the same Microsoft.

And speaking of that, several will have no choice. It seems I'll be able to keep using Windows 10 until next year when I'd planned to upgrade my computer anyway, but even if that wasn't the case it's my livelihood. And even if I don't agree with what Microsoft is doing, I don't agree with everything that any other platform is doing either- even open source. They all have their problems, and you just choose what problems to accept. In all honesty, having already been looking into it, I'm not out much other that the time and effort to do it in upgrading my computers- the biggest loss is my Surface Pro 4, but it's long in the teeth anyway and I'm not using it for anything much other than another display.

I just checked elsewhere, and it seems that EOL for Windows 10 is 2025, so I don't think there will be as much blowback as people predict.

anandcoral:
If we look closely, then we see that MS has released a Win version with only cosmetic changes but new hardware requirement.

Now this will force new hardware purchase. Users will get nothing but some window dressing and loss of money.
Obviously someone will become rich.

As far as older hardware not supporting the new shiny OS then do not worry, just give it time. When all new sales dry up, then MS will come out with upgrade for older machines too. After all MS wants billions of computer using Win 11.

Regards,

Anand

Arizona Hot:
Windows 11 Announced

Has anyone here seen this popup yet?

Arizona Hot:
Windows 11 Announced

Will your PC run Windows 11? Even Microsoft can't say for sure

My computers are 6 and 8 years old and may not be able to run Win 11 when it becomes available. There may be a fix before EOL in 2023, but if not they are old enough to retire gracefully(unlike their predecessors which died with their boots on).

Stoic Joker:
They both equal 1 password multiple access
-Stoic Joker (June 25, 2021, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Depends on how that password is secured. I secure mine with my phone, so even if my password is leaked, it does no good.
-wraith808 (June 25, 2021, 06:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I know … The industry loves fawning over the (a little to magical) 2fa crap. But as long as session token reuse remains a cake walk...I just ain't warm-and-fuzzy about trusting it.

I'd rather keep separate things, separate...so the twain can't meet in a dark alley.

Call me old fashion...  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version