ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 11 Announced

<< < (3/18) > >>

Shades:
I get the view from Microsoft and their wish to reduce the amount of computer hardware combinations they need to support. That makes their lives a lot easier and won't hurt profitability.

But this is saddling up the customer with an unintended financial burden to get their "free" upgrade.

Didn't find (read: wasn't looking too much) for more information regarding the Pro/Enterprise editions of Windows 11. If those have the same hardware security requirements, then I start to think MS will see this back in the profits made in the next financial quarter after they officially bring out Windows 11.

And it may not be the case in your neck of the woods, but new Intel CPU's are really expensive here at the moment. AMD is permanently sold out for months here. So replacing computers won't happen anytime soon. Would hardware be a lot cheaper, then replacement would not be so much of a deal. However, in a market as bad as here, that isn't really an option.

rgdot:
2013 released laptop with Intel Core i5-4300U is of course not 8th gen and predictably fails the Windows 11 requirements check. Nothing wrong with this laptop and the only change I have ever felt it needed (and was done) was drive and RAM upgrades.

wraith808:
Oh well... my Intel Core i5-4670K isn't on the list. I think they're going to find that a lot of people aren't willing to throw away a computer that isn't struggling with Windows 10. And now we see the reason for Windows 11- they knew there was a lack of backwards compatibility.

Shades:
For completion sake, here is the list of supported AMD processors.

Dormouse:
I daresay we'll have more that aren't on the list than are.
I'll not switch unless forced, and then go to Linux instead. The programs I use 95% of the time now will work happily enough on Linux.
afaics MS is going the way of Apple. I see their benefits, but think they'll find a price to pay. It opens the chromebook door a little wider. Google will look for other chinks in the MS armour, and the Linux distros will sniff around for further opportunities.
Personally I'm not keen on the idea of the Amazon Android store either, however pointless the MS store is. Google will, rightly, see that as a deliberate challenge.

So Apple Vs MS/Intel/Amazon Vs Google.
I'm not sure that the MS friendship with open source will last.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version