ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 11 Announced

<< < (13/18) > >>

Edvard:
systemd aimed to improve the startup speed - but they said it was especially good "for servers". Now how often do you usually restart your servers?-Tuxman (July 09, 2021, 03:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, precisely.  I gotta hand it to systemd on that point though, my Linux of choice has never started up faster or more reliably.

Also, yup - if systemd would have remained a SysV init replacement, it would probably be ok-ish. Instead, they added stuff that renames your network devices on each boot.
--- End quote ---

Annoying, but strangely easy to ignore after getting over the initial annoyance.  I was more peeved about SDDM hard-coding my $PATH and ignoring .profile  :-\

If you want reliability, you don't want Linux with systemd.
--- End quote ---

As badly as I wanted to hate systemd, I find that in day-to-day use on a desktop machine doing electronic design, music recording, photo manipulation and vector graphics and the occasional game, I... dont.
I can't stand Lennart Poettering's attitude and justifications for what he thinks Linux should be like, but for the most part, I can still tell stuff to stay out of my way and it does.  PulseAudio doesn't have access to my recording interface because I told it not to, and it dutifully complied.  I've even heard of some crazy folks running a systemd-tainted distro say that the binary logs are actually a peach to parse with the tools given.  Yeah, I prefer a healthy pipe-grepping session to anything else, but I'm not anybody important, and besides, even now you can turn on text logging and it's just as happy.  AND it's been rock-solid reliable even after systemd was introduced.

I'm definitely NOT a systemd fanboy, I'm just saying that In My Experience, I didn't see the world come crashing down around my head when it first showed up in my Debian updates, and I have no reason to believe it will anytime soon.  If it does, there's always BSD.  Always.  ;)

Anyways, back on topic:
I won't be installing Windows 11 for my wife anytime soon, as there is no way we can afford the kind of machine it would take to run it.  Maybe in 5 years we can afford this year's refurbished model and give it a go, but whatever.

Tuxman:
Wasn't that supposed to be Windows 10?  Like, it was supposed to be a "rolling update" operating system? 
-Edvard (July 11, 2021, 09:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it rolled to 11 now.

Tuxman:
I gotta hand it to systemd on that point though, my Linux of choice has never started up faster or more reliably.
-Edvard (July 11, 2021, 11:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I find runit to be rather good at this.

Shades:
For those that only keep track of Windows 11 through here:
There appears to be a 10 day grace period after you update your Windows 10 computer to Windows 11. That is the full period for trying it out and rolling back to Windows 10 if Windows 11 is not to your liking. Don't expect a roll back to be a smooth experience, make sure you have all your Windows 10 drivers and such backed up safely on a portable device or cloud drive. Portable device is better if you only have only 1 computer available during that period. Internet may or may not work after the roll-back, and in that case, you'll be much happier when you can install your drivers from that portable device instead of being cut-off from your cloud drive.

4wd:
For those that only keep track of Windows 11 through here:
There appears to be a 10 day grace period after you update your Windows 10 computer to Windows 11. That is the full period for trying it out and rolling back to Windows 10 if Windows 11 is not to your liking. Don't expect a roll back to be a smooth experience, make sure you have all your Windows 10 drivers and such backed up safely on a portable device or cloud drive. Portable device is better if you only have only 1 computer available during that period. Internet may or may not work after the roll-back, and in that case, you'll be much happier when you can install your drivers from that portable device instead of being cut-off from your cloud drive.-Shades (July 12, 2021, 10:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Even easier to rollback by just restoring the system image you created before you upgraded to Windows 11 ... you did create one, didn't you?

:P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version