ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 11 Announced

<< < (12/18) > >>

superboyac:
At the same time, Linux has become notably shittier when the majority of distributions introduced systemd, a svchost.exe clone with a bizarre understanding of how Linux was supposed to work.

They even killed text log files.
-Tuxman (July 07, 2021, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
tell me more about this.  i just learned how to do something with systemd.  i thought it was "better" than whatever was before?

Shades:
@superboyac:
Systemd takes away a lot of control during boot. It makes the boot procedure (slightly) more convenient. While the ways to setup the boot procedure wasn't rocket science, you had to know a bit about it. Systemd makes Linux a bit more newbie-friendly.

By now systemd has it hooks in a lot system functionality, not only the boot procedure. This rubs a lot people the wrong way. Lennart Poettering is the author of systemd and lots of people on the internet claim that he is not a good programmer, is headstrong and is an unpleasant character to communicate/work with. How much of that is true, I don't know, never did any research myself. This author was also involved with other projects, such as PulseAudio, which was a real mess in the beginning...and started to improve once he didn't involve himself so much anymore.

In any case, there are many more knowledgeable Linux persons who do not like the direction where Poetterring was taking systemd, back when it was still a tool for the boot process. Nowadays, he is quite a hated figure. Systemd hides a lot of what it actually does in the background. Logging is indeed not as useful as it used to be. Still, the main Linux distributions keep using it for the convenience factor.

And they want the day that Microsoft introduces Windows 11 for real, that Linux is as hassle free (read: newbie friendly) as it can be for computers that don't want to belong to the army of Windows 10 "zombies".   

Tuxman:
systemd aimed to improve the startup speed - but they said it was especially good "for servers". Now how often do you usually restart your servers?
Also, yup - if systemd would have remained a SysV init replacement, it would probably be ok-ish. Instead, they added stuff that renames your network devices on each boot.

If you want reliability, you don't want Linux with systemd.

bfallona:
So far a hot mess.  I spotted this forum after going to Friends of DC.  While new a couple of things.  1. MS was not ready heck they even broke the HealthCheck app. I tried all the other apps and found 2 that were ok. Wise Software has one which is slow and not correct - Check it.  I prefer Ready & Sun Valley which is more polished but still is incorrect.  But it does run WhyNotWin11 inside the program ( Get 2nd Opinion).  I have a Frankenstein PC with an i5 2400, but 9 TB of drives most if not all GPT, but the apps say that on MBR is installed.  I have 16gig memory but the apps show not passed.  I fear it will be weeks if not months till we get the real answers.  And lastly, I am on the Insider track and MS Insider Mgt stated over a week ago that IF you had provided feedback via Feedback Hub, etc then you would get a Windows 11 update next week which has passed.  I am in no hurry to buy a PC, but if forced to just do an MB transplant with a newer CPU for a few hundred dollars. Should be interesting.  But these MS folks seemed to have dropped a lot of balls so far.

Edvard:
Looking forward to when they get rid of version numbers altogether.
-Tuxman (July 06, 2021, 07:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wasn't that supposed to be Windows 10?  Like, it was supposed to be a "rolling update" operating system? 
https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-may-be-last-version-windows-microsoft-rethinks-operating-system

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version