ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 11 Announced

<< < (10/18) > >>

Deozaan:
Why Windows 11 won't run on your new $5,000 Surface PC, but a Mac from 2013 can run the next-gen macOS from zdnet
-wraith808 (July 03, 2021, 05:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

What that article says (or insinuates) is that Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows when they thought there would be higher adoption of UWP and the Microsoft Store, so they could rake in ~30% of all sales taking place on their store and not have to concern themselves with earning money from selling new versions of Windows. Now that they've seen relatively little adoption of their storefront, they've decided to re-theme Windows 10 and force people to pay them for it by requiring them to buy a new computer (and therefore require a new Windows license for the new hardware since Windows 10 licenses are tied to the hardware) to run it.

MilesAhead:
Why Windows 11 won't run on your new $5,000 Surface PC, but a Mac from 2013 can run the next-gen macOS from zdnet
--- End quote ---

What that article says (or insinuates) is that Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows when they thought there would be higher adoption of UWP and the Microsoft Store, so they could rake in ~30% of all sales taking place on their store and not have to concern themselves with earning money from selling new versions of Windows. Now that they've seen relatively little adoption of their storefront, they've decided to re-theme Windows 10 and force people to pay them for it by requiring them to buy a new computer (and therefore require a new Windows license for the new hardware since Windows 10 licenses are tied to the hardware) to run it.
-Deozaan (July 03, 2021, 08:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is kind of weird that Bill Gates was ousted supposedly to shift the focus from desktop hobbyists and office software to a device centric market.  Then they abandon Windows phones altogether.  I remember when I got the Gateway machine it was billed as a server and came with network switches and ethernet card.  It claimed to be capable of running W2K server.  It did, until I tried to create a domain.  I took the domain stuff off but it still crashed on boot every two weeks with the boot error "Illegal opcode in the kernel."  I never saw that error before or since.  It did run NT Server 4.0 fine though.  But if I bought a bunch of them thinking to set my business up on W2K server I'd be pissed.  ;D

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

-Deozaan (July 03, 2021, 08:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks... I was in a hurry this morning when I posted it so didn't get a chance to post my usual synopsis.

Attronarch:
I'm so happy that I've migrated to Fedora back in 2017. Haven't looked back.

tomos:
A related article (also ZDNet)
OK Microsoft, you win: I’m buying a Windows 11 PC

with this required hardware-enforced containerization and virtualization tech, Windows 11 will isolate applications and processes much more easily. It will be much more difficult for malware in an errantly running application to access resources it isn't supposed to. It will only access the resources in that specific application task that it infects, such as a particular browser tab.
--- End quote ---
if you're a Windows user --  consumer or enterprise -- you want this. If you don't have hardware that supports it, it's worth getting a new system.

The problem is that Microsoft buried the lead and employed bait-and-switch tactics to induce us to upgrade, rather than simply being straight with us from the beginning. What Microsoft should have said is: "Look, we can't implement these important architectural changes in the OS to protect you from the bad guys unless your hardware supports this."
--- End quote ---
OTOH, they say that if you have recent hardware that supports it, this and other security changes enforced in 11 are already implemented in Windows 10...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version