ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 11 Announced

<< < (6/18) > >>

4wd:
Well, this is an absolute deal breaker for me.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications
-app103 (June 26, 2021, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

They introduced vertical tabs into Edge because wide screen monitors are so commonplace that it's now worthwhile to do it and save a little of the vertical real estate for content ... then they go do the opposite in the OS.

MS are retarded.

anandcoral:
Well, this is an absolute deal breaker for me.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications
-app103 (June 26, 2021, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

They introduced vertical tabs into Edge because wide screen monitors are so commonplace that it's now worthwhile to do it and save a little of the vertical real estate for content ... then they go do the opposite in the OS.

MS are retarded.
-4wd (June 27, 2021, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

They now want to show you news on the left side of screen, like it or not  :mad:

app103:
YAY!  ;D

Windows 11 Announced

And for anyone else that is wondering exactly what those system requirements are, and if there are some very simple changes you can make to put yourself in the "not qualified" category, Have a look at this:

Windows 11 Announced

Not that I actually did anything to deliberately cause the incompatibility. Microsoft just doesn't like my i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz for some reason. And that's ok with me, at least for now.

Shades:
Comment from SlashDot looks to be spot on:

"Windows 11 is Microsoft's kiss and make up gift basket to manufacturers for Windows 10. They want the Google Chromebook "5 years and dead" Model and were pissed that MS gave Windows 10 away for free to anyone on 7 or 8 and kept the Minimum requirements so low. Everybody upgraded, no one bought new computers and cue the PC recession.

Now that MS basically killed any PC over 4 years old, Either PC sales will skyrocket now or once 2025 hits."

app103:
Comment from SlashDot looks to be spot on:

"Windows 11 is Microsoft's kiss and make up gift basket to manufacturers for Windows 10. They want the Google Chromebook "5 years and dead" Model and were pissed that MS gave Windows 10 away for free to anyone on 7 or 8 and kept the Minimum requirements so low. Everybody upgraded, no one bought new computers and cue the PC recession.

Now that MS basically killed any PC over 4 years old, Either PC sales will skyrocket now or once 2025 hits."
-Shades (June 27, 2021, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

And having an older laptop with higher hardware specs than most of the brand new crap available on the current market won't save your ass from obsolescence, any more.

My 2.90GHz quad core CPU doesn't qualify, even though it meets the minimum requirements of 1 GHz and at least 2 cores, simply because it's not on their list, by name.

There's no more reason to spend more to buy the best spec laptop available, in the hopes of lengthening the time between laptop purchases. Microsoft can and will kick one of your hardware components off their list, even if it is physically more than capable of running their OS, just to force you to buy a new laptop.

Save your money, buy mediocre...or make sure your kick-ass hardware is 100% Linux compatible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version