ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which Windows 10 Updates should be avoided?

<< < (3/4) > >>

BGM:
Ewwww - I think Windows 10 is headed for the everything-hosted-or-approved-by-Windows thing, as well as OS subscriptions.

Ath:
Is there any chance you can replace the Windows OS on your computer with a Linux distro (too many available to give an example)? Then you won't ever have this dilemma again :tellme:.

BGM:
Haha - I would love to switch to Linux, but I can't for a slew of reasons.  Oh well.  Life, eh?

At least I have Autohotkey to keep me company!

wraith808:
So is stuff like this
 just a hoax?
-MilesAhead (June 11, 2021, 12:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was referring to the datamining in an article on bleeping computer: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/not-windows-11-new-windows-10-name-scheme-hinted-in-microsoft-docs/

This would also jive to the fact that Microsoft has said before that Windows 10 is the last version of Windows - they're instead moving to a naming of milestones similar to MacOS.

Shades:
Haha - I would love to switch to Linux, but I can't for a slew of reasons.  Oh well.  Life, eh?

At least I have Autohotkey to keep me company!
-BGM (June 12, 2021, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Loving Linux for servers (no GUI at all) for more than a decade already. Dipping toes now with Pop!_OS (Ubuntu based distro with System76's tweaks and improvements) on my laptop. Till now, I can tell that this has been a much smoother experience than expected. Then again, experiences with Linux servers make it easier. Haven't had a real need to do things in the terminal, but I prefer to do that.

I'm sure you will miss a few application that you are used to in your Windows setup. For me, a native Linux version of Directory Opus would be an insta-buy.

Anyway, for my purposes, desktop Linux has come far enough to consider a transition. You could be surprised by how well desktop Linux fits your use cases too. Or not. You'll never know until you try.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version