topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Search inside Fsekrit?  (Read 20619 times)

olaer069

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Search inside Fsekrit?
« on: September 05, 2006, 04:17 PM »
Hi guys, great app.

I'm presently using Fsekrit to store all of my 50+ pw:s and Im using Slickrun to pull it up. This means it's ---- (Winkey+Q) ----- (pw enter) -------- (*type in Fsekrit pw* enter) -- and Im on my list of PWs.

Slickrun has at least one annyoing bug but works most of the time, Fsekrit has worked as expected since I started using it.

This setup lets me quickly pull up or update pws I use without having to think outside any box or even touch the mouse.

Now, the extra feature Id like in Fsekrit is a simple text search, this would let me shave off the most annyoing corner in this chain of actions.

best

Erik

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Search inside Fsekrit?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 04:24 PM »
couple of things before f0dder responds:
1) hopefully this will light a spark under f0dder to implement search this month.
2) you might want to try our own Find+Run Robot (FAR) as a replacement to slickrun (https://www.donation...r/findrun/index.html)
3) you might seriously want to try a dedicated password manager key KeePass which was mentioned today on our forum (https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=5107.0)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 04:53 PM »
I definitelly support mouser's opinion.
Even though fsekrit is a powerful app which i use to keep my most important passwords online, you definitelly should think about considering a dedicated password manager. Though if you need fsekrit's portability for all your passwords, maybe that's the best way.
Nevertheless, find on fsekrit would be nice :D

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 05:02 PM »
fSekrit has had search since v1.1 (which is currently the current version), but for some reason this version never got up on the DonationCoder site. I'm attaching it here...

Work on v1.2 is progressing nicely, I hope to have it done by the 15th, or at least a beta. I need a few cleanups and some work on win9x compatibility (what a limited and quirky operating system, *sigh*), and then of course a bunch of bugtesting...
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 01:33 PM »
v1.1 is now uploaded to the fsekrit web page: https://www.donation...r/fSekrit/index.html

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 04:48 PM »
Hm, I still get v1.0 - possibly a cache issue, though?

Btw, could you retain the version number in the zip name? That'd definitely resolve any cache issues :)
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 04:52 PM »
there is a real problem with putting version # in filename, it breaks all offsite download links, pad file, etc.

ps. i get v1.1 when i download.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 04:58 PM »
there is a real problem with putting version # in filename, it breaks all offsite download links, pad file, etc.

ps. i get v1.1 when i download.
Hm yes, I can see that - bummer. Probably firefox (or fasterfox...) messing up and caching too much. And now the donationcoder DNS is fubar here again, *sigh* - this post is only possible because of agressive DNS caching by... firefox or fasterfox :)
- carpe noctem

olaer069

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 04:56 AM »
got the update, thx

I will probably be looking at the slickrun replacement someday when I have a lot of time

I hate to be like this :-) but the search window is quite commonly right on top of the text you just found and you dont know if it's the right spot or a preceding one with the same textstring since the window blocks the view. --> common annoyance

I guess putting the window in the lower right corner is tricky since the XY-coords starts from the upper left corner and you just dont know how big screensize your average user has.

If you have unlimited time I'd really like a firefox-type GUI on the search function, but thats of course generic enduser feedback rather than any type of request.

Oh another feedback thing, my Fsekrit doesn't realize that my WinXP taskbar is two rows tall, it always starts in fullscreen minus one row on top and one below. I guess this is a feature which is still static rather than dynamic.

nice app

cheers

Erik

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 05:08 AM »
Thanks for your feedback, Erik - always appreciated!

The search window currently just uses windows default positioning. I guess I could move it to the bottom-right of the fSekrit window? Or top-right? That should be possible without too much hassle.

Firefox-style search is a bit out of the scope of fSekrit, at least for now. It would require a bunch of code, whereas I'm trying to depond on "standard functionality" to keep size down. I do *like* firefox-style search, though :)

As for the taskbar thing, fSekrit doesn't take anything like that into consideration - it simply tries to center itself on the main desktop. Or at least that's what it's supposed to do ;). Default window size is 640x480, which fits even in 800x600 resolution, I don't think anybody runs a smaller resolution than that?
- carpe noctem

olaer069

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 05:25 AM »
k, IMO

Window in top right corner is less psychologically intuitive but in this case preferable since it wont block the findings when the text in the window scroll.

The window size issue is a problem since the lowest row of the window is behind my taskbar and this is where the search puts its results. I'd like the window to be full screen (issue removed for me) or the search findings to be not on bottom row but on the 5-10th row from below (not as nice but gets the prob out of the way). Actually both would be great, I always want to know what is just below something I just found through a search.

btw Im on 1024x768

best

Erik
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 05:27 AM by olaer069 »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 05:36 AM »
Hm, sounds weird that you get taskbar overlap in 1024x768 - could you grab a shot of your desktop with a default "fresh" copy (ie, no note saved yet) of fSekrit?

Perhaps my window centering code needs some fixing. (The reason for a fresh copy is that the current window size is saved with the note; I'll have to save as "IsMaximized?" flag as well).
- carpe noctem

olaer069

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 05:55 AM »
Ah, the initial window (not maximized) is small and centered as you prob intended. The maximzed window has the characteristics I described when reopened.

Seem I can't attach file to post, it shows a small Fsekrit 1.1 window in the middle of my screen
 :-)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 06:10 AM »
Ah, the initial window (not maximized) is small and centered as you prob intended. The maximzed window has the characteristics I described when reopened.
Ahhhhhh, that explains it then!

Currently fSekrit only records the window size and tries to center that - it doesn't remember if the window is maximized. I already added that to the ToDo list :)

Seem I can't attach file to post, it shows a small Fsekrit 1.1 window in the middle of my screen
 :-)
Hm, weird. There's some filesize and filetype limitations on attach, though - but if it's a jpeg or png it should work.
- carpe noctem