topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: XML Viewer editor with exporting?  (Read 3046 times)

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
XML Viewer editor with exporting?
« on: June 08, 2021, 01:48 PM »
I am trying to replace a viewer that is now longer working.  I need a user friendly program that can open many xml files organized in hundreds of folders that were generated daily.  After opening them, I would like to be able to view, edit, and export the data as well, if possible. 

The viewer that is no longer working used to display all of the xml information in a table consisting of 9 columns, though from looking at the files in notepad, the viewer ignored alot of the data.

Once it loaded the data, it would be displayed in a a table and could be sorted by column, edited, searched and exported.  It would be great if it would be possible to do that with another application, but just being able to view the data and edit it would be a great help.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Any suggestions or ideas?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: XML Viewer editor with exporting?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 05:09 AM »
I noticed that Universal Viewer Pro (uvviewsoft.com/uviewer/) now supports XML - I don't think it used to.
Internet: all file types supported by MS Internet Explorer: HTML XML MHT...
I haven't tried it though.

For editing, EditPad Pro (editpadpro.com/edittextfiles.html) can edit XML files.
XML files and XML-based formats

NirSoft SysExporter (nirsoft.net/utils/sysexp.html) could be very useful for data capture.
Description
SysExporter utility allows you to grab the data stored in standard list-views, tree-views, list boxes, combo boxes, text-boxes, and WebBrowser/HTML controls from almost any application running on your system, and export it to text, HTML or XML file.
Here's some examples for data that you can export with SysExporter:
  • The files list inside archive file (.zip, .rar, and so on) as displayed by WinZip or 7-Zip File Manager.
  • The files list inside a folder.
  • The event log of Windows.
  • The list of emails and contacts in Outlook Express.
  • The Registry values displayed in the right pane of the Registry Editor.
  • The data displayed by SysInternals utilities (Registry Monitor, File Monitor, Process Explorer, and others.)
  • The text inside a standard message-box of Windows.

Hope that helps or is of use.

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 10:39 AM »
Had not thought about nirsoft for this.  Thanks

I will look into Universal Viewer Pro and Editpad pro.   Looking through the forum, it also looks like Ultraedit is highly regarded.  Have also been looking through this  list.

In searching I came across XMLSPY which is known for its “grid view”

Xmlspy is very expensive. 

Ideally a single application that allowed you to not only edit, but build the viewer data table.  I looked to excel/libre calc because most people are more likely to be familiar with them  I know I could map the cells in a spreadsheet to the data in the XML file, but I need to do this with 100s of files.
https://help.libreof...urce.html?DbPAR=CALC

Something like powerquery might work.

I would like to be able to point the application to the directory with all of the xml files (within folders) and have ti automatically build the editable table.  I realize that might not be possible without the use of a database or some other methodology.

I am stretching my knowledge some with this search, which makes it difficult. But I am enjoying broadening my horizons.
 Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:46 AM by sphere »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 10:51 PM »
Not free:

Liquid used to be a good and capable XML editor (with XSLT generator etc). Not sure how useful it still is after another company bought the software. Oxygen is expensive as well.

Free/Open Source:

Unclear:
This might be the ideal one for you, but didn't find a description of what they regard as a commercial user. Such a user needs to pay 30 Euro for a license. For non-commercial users it is free.

Anyway, these links should give you something to work with.

* Edit: added free editor
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:08 PM by Shades »

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 02:36 PM »
Wow. Definitely gives me something to work with.  Working on exploring them now.  Do you know if any of these allow you to load multiple xml files simultaneously?