ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hardware: HDD & Case Queries

(1/3) > >>

tomos:
Question #1:
I have two 2.5" HDDs and they are in this casing with about 6mm between them (less than a quarter inch). Do you think is that enough spacing, or should I look for a better solution?
Note the only fan is back of case (this towards the front). It's not a good case for extra HDDs :-(

I was even thinking of trying to rotate the frame that the drives are in by 90° (on the long axis) so as the heat could go up. (Would need to bore a hole for that though, could be messy.)

Would also like to discuss case recommendations (maybe I should make a separate thread for that?) -- cable management is such a pita in my very limited experience. Reviews, even of expensive cases almost always say, great case, problems with cable management...

Shades:
Usually, the bracket in which the HDDs are mounted is a bit receded from the front, so an (extra) case fan fits. Those are easy to come by, easy to replace etc. It is better to use "active" cooling when drives are mounted this close.

You used to have brackets for 5,25" bays that allowed you to mount a 3,5" hard disk in them. I'm sure those can be used to mount a 2,5" drive into a 3,5" drive bay. That solves your problem too. Then there is much less  to no need for extra "active" cooling.

I see you use those red SATA cables. Replace those with decent SATA cables, you will do yourself a big favor with that.

tomos:
I see you use those red SATA cables. Replace those with decent SATA cables, you will do yourself a big favor with that.
-Shades (May 19, 2021, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Will do

You used to have brackets for 5,25" bays that allowed you to mount a 3,5" hard disk in them. I'm sure those can be used to mount a 2,5" drive into a 3,5" drive bay. That solves your problem too. Then there is much less  to no need for extra "active" cooling.
-Shades (May 19, 2021, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
There's only one 3.5" bay and it's unusable the way it's designed. There's space for one 2.5" HD (it's not even a proper bay)
EDIT// it's a while since I added that bracket - it's 3.5" to 2.5" bracket //EDIT
so I mounted a bracket that fits two HDDs onto that. The case is really designed for one sata HD (and whatever you can fit on the motherboard (one SSD in my case)

mouser:
The top HD is a 2TB HD -- the solution that jumps out to me is to replace it (and any other HD of similar size) with an SSD.  Less heat, much faster, takes up less space.

tomos:
I should have numbered these.
Cross sections of how the harddrive should be installed; how it is (how *they* are); and how they could work better heatwise:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version