ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Idea: combination metronome and slideshow. Practice tool

(1/1)

ayryq:
This is probably easier to code (for someone else!) than to explain. I think it's probably best as a web page rather than a windows or android executable, but maybe that's just where I'm most comfortable. It would be nice if it were cross-platform.

The basic idea is to have a metronome, audio and visual, and then every nth beat, a different image shows. At minimum the user should be able to control the tempo (beats per minute), though I have ideas for making it much more complicated  :)

Background: I'm a trumpet player (citation: check out the intro to one of mouser's "CO-OP FOR TWO" videos) and currently a full time student (final semester, masters degree, Eastman School).
An important skill is to be able to pick off a note from anywhere—to nail it every time. One way we train this skill is through "attack practice" where every four beats I have to play a single, different quarter note. We have a sheet with expanding intervals, so I start in the middle of my range... B - Bb - C - A... and gradually widen until there's a large gap and I'm playing the lowest note I can, then the highest.

The idea of the program would be that every fourth beat (or whatever) a new pitch would show, at random, instead of the pattern I'm used to on the sheet. I'd have four clicks to perfectly play that note, then on to the next one. The simplest version would be a set of pre-made images of musical notes, which would change every fourth click at the set tempo. A more complicated version could have perhaps three independent random fields, so I get a random note, a random articulation (staccato, tenuto, accent, etc.) and a random dynamic (p, mf, f, etc.). A neat feature would encode the slides in order so that I could select the highest and lowest allowed note.

I hope that makes sense. I'm pretty tired right now but it makes sense in my head!

Maybe this weekend I'll work on a mock-up that will make it clearer. Tomorrow's too busy - I'm playing the complete orchestral film score to 1989 Batman synced to a screening of the movie in downtown Rochester.

KodeZwerg:
for windows i could do that.
my idea for that, since i am absolutely no trumpet player or any other instrument at all, i could offer a note-based filesystem in which you need to put 2 different files.
exemplary like
 - root folder\pool\A\
   image of note A.bmp
   sound of note A.wav
having such kind of system would provide to you an unlimited number of different notes with different content
to the metronome, i dont know if you need it visual displayed (graphical effect) or if it would be enough to have the "image of note X.bmp" popped up for a as long the sound is playing
metronome speed itself can be adjusted by something like entering millisecond time (every tick a sound plus image played)

tell me if you are interested in such, windows only, i would need at least two files from you to have something as a starting point (image and sound)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version