ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need to convert audio files while keeping original file dates

(1/2) > >>

Lolipop Jones:
I have a bunch of old .wav recordings which I would like to convert to a compressed format so I can email them to some family members who have slow (rural) net acess.

But because the dates have some sentimental value (kids' musical and voice performances from 1997-2004) I want to keep the original file dates and not overwrite them with the conversion date.

No conversion program I currently have will do this.  Can anyone help?

publicdomain:
But because the dates have some sentimental value (kids' musical and voice performances from 1997-2004) I want to keep the original file dates and not overwrite them with the conversion date.

No conversion program I currently have will do this.  Can anyone help?
-Lolipop Jones (May 12, 2021, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Greetings LJ! :) If your conversion program has a command-line interface where you can pass the destination/resulting file name, making a program to snapshot previous dates for originals and "replaying it" on the resulting files is possible.

It could also be possible to make it if you already have resulting files having changed extension from .wav to .mp3. In such a case, the program would compare file name patterns and adjust/set the MP3 files' dates accordingly.

I'm open to making this tool with a little accompanying feedback from you. :Thmbsup: Cheers!

publicdomain:
It could also be possible to make it if you already have resulting files having changed extension from .wav to .mp3. In such a case, the program would compare file name patterns and adjust/set the MP3 files' dates accordingly.
-publicdomain (May 12, 2021, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Alright! Let's focus on the resulting converted files :) FileDateReplay repository is open:

https://github.com/publicdomain/filedatereplay

Your's a family situation so let's work on this baby with priority :Thmbsup: Cheers!

Lolipop Jones:
If your conversion program has a command-line interface where you can pass the destination/resulting file name,
-publicdomain (May 12, 2021, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Vic,

The one I use almost all the time is GUI only (dbPoweramp) but I will check the others I have.  Got a few plates in the air at the moment so it may be a day or three.

Thanks!

LJ

KodeZwerg:
I like to contribute later aswell but not matching 100% the OP wish.

The Ideas in my head plus differences to Vic would be:
- own GUI with own free to use audio-codec (that way I do have better control of files)
- basic converter options, bitrate and such
- option for automatic mp3 header fill (based on this rule, your files should be in that state before enable that option: "Artist - Title {optional - Year}.extension"
- option to keep original filedates for converted media
- option to set output folder
- option to test original and converted against (not visible presented, just audio playback, that way you have a chance to quickly test many converter variations)
- batch converting mode (convert many files at once)
- multithreading, you choose how many converting threads may be opened at once to get most power out of your hardware (# of your cpu-kernels will be the limit)
  ( ...or set to single-thread to keep system more stable for other usage while converting... )
  ( small example to give you an idea: 4-kernels/threads = each work with 25% of cpu power ... since 4 * 25 = 100% cpu  :P )
- no other external app will be supported (dbPoweramp or whatever), that would be Vic's try if I did understand correct
- 100% portable, no installation is required
- 100% not for commercial usage allowed (converter libs disallow, not me)

If you do not like that Idea, I will not disturb here anymore and silently put it on my Todo List as one of my many fun projects or NANY contributions.

Stay healty all of you!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version