ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

'Culture question' about DonationCoder - How are things done here?

(1/3) > >>

Jasong222:
Hey everyone,

Apologies if putting this here isn't the best place.  Didn't seem to fit anywhere else.

I'm new here, and had some questions about the culture here, how things are done.  I found this place, I forget where, probably Reddit.  Someone was suggesting here as a place where one can go and request programs to be made in exchange for donations.

I have several things I love to be coded.  I posted one to get started, a simple thing to select files, right click and create folder for those selected items.  It's over in the requests board.

But since then I've been wondering-

1- A couple people replied specifically to tell me that they weren't interested in coding that.  That was the whole point of their post.
2- A user did pick up my task.  He said "I'm on it" and created a github, etc. etc.

So some of this was unexpected and looking at the effiency of his posts and updates, etc.  I started to have some questions and wanted to just clarify some things.

Why would someone post just to tell me only that they're not interested in taking the project.  Probably it's nothing, just 'how he is', which is fine and cool, but I wanted just to check on that to see if I'm missing something.  Also- with the donations and expectations.  What's expected in terms of a donation?  The word 'donation' implies 'optional'.  I'm happy to donate something, I'm not saying I want stuff done for free.  (Although, of course, that would be awesome).  But I guess I'm seeing that there's a range of potential culture (behavior) between "yeah, chip in if you found it useful" and probably "people expect a donation (and it should be within <number> and <number> based on <factors>).

So tl/dr- how are things done here in terms of 'why' people take tasks and what the expectations are in terms of donations.  I understand in advance that the answer might not be cut and dry and will depend on a lot of factors, the person coding, the difficulty of the project, the time it takes, etc. etc. etc.  Just looking to increase my understanding of the culture here.

Thanks!

tomos:
hi Jasong,
lots of people here aren't coders. If you make a request, people will make suggestions of software that might do that already (why reinvent the wheel) and people will make suggestions of workarounds (fwiw they may or may not be coders, doesn't matter...).
In the thread you posted in, a couple of people were negative about the idea of coding something cause they felt the workaround was a better, or a good enough solution. Everyone who posted in that thread was being helpful -- naturally that doesn't mean you agree with or follow their advice.

People who code 'snacks' or apps do it if they want (and have the time) and don't if the idea doesn't interest them. Re donating: it's always nice to donate to say thank you. If you request something, you could always ask per private-message (PM) what the coder's expectations are. I reckon a lot of people donate according to their means. One could also donate to someone who has given particularly helpful advice. There's no rules about any of it though.

KodeZwerg:
Good day.
Sorry my bad english.
My post 'not interested' plus what to do without any 3rd party tool was not meant to offend you.
Sorry if you interpreted this as such.
On this forum many talented coders/users with great knowledge are taking a request/giving hints.
- To signal others/or OP; i'd say what i say.
From point of donation: give what think is fair. 1cent or a million, it is your free will, no rule.
Mouser (the head from this forum) made a cool 'how much is fair' letter, just search a bit and you find it.
First of all, all software is availabe free, but have in mind, even coders/helpful users must eat!

Everything i write is not meant to harm, i just express myself often rough without knowing it.

Enjoy your staying!

Jasong222:
hi Jasong,
lots of people here aren't coders. If you make a request, people will make suggestions of software that might do that already (why reinvent the wheel) and people will make suggestions of workarounds (fwiw they may or may not be coders, doesn't matter...).
In the thread you posted in, a couple of people were negative about the idea of coding something cause they felt the workaround was a better, or a good enough solution. Everyone who posted in that thread was being helpful -- naturally that doesn't mean you agree with or follow their advice.

People who code 'snacks' or apps do it if they want (and have the time) and don't if the idea doesn't interest them. Re donating: it's always nice to donate to say thank you. If you request something, you could always ask per private-message (PM) what the coder's expectations are. I reckon a lot of people donate according to their means. One could also donate to someone who has given particularly helpful advice. There's no rules about any of it though.
-tomos (April 30, 2021, 11:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ok, thanks, noted.  I recall one person, who commented in this thread also and to whom I'm about to reply to, posted they weren't interested and I thought nothing else.  On reread I see they did actually suggest one thing.  The other thing was just using regular system functions, or at least that's how I read it.

And then on the coding- noted.  I guess I'm looking to orient myself if this is like a place where hobbiests hang out and help people out when they want, or is this more like a place where people come to earn income. Like r/slavelabour, on Reddit.  And places can have customs or conventions/expectations that are unspoken, and if there were any, I'd want to know as a guy is about to finish my request.

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated!

Jasong222:
Good day.
Sorry my bad english.
My post 'not interested' plus what to do without any 3rd party tool was not meant to offend you.
Sorry if you interpreted this as such.
On this forum many talented coders/users with great knowledge are taking a request/giving hints.
- To signal others/or OP; i'd say what i say.
From point of donation: give what think is fair. 1cent or a million, it is your free will, no rule.
Mouser (the head from this forum) made a cool 'how much is fair' letter, just search a bit and you find it.
First of all, all software is availabe free, but have in mind, even coders/helpful users must eat!

Everything i write is not meant to harm, i just express myself often rough without knowing it.

Enjoy your staying!
-KodeZwerg (April 30, 2021, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey man,

No, not offended at all!  It was just unusual to me to see that.  And not just from you but from some other people as well.  In recalling your message, I didn't remember you making alternative suggestions, I thought your suggestions were just regular system functions  ('create folder'-->select-->move.)  I see now there was another suggestion as well.  That's my bad.

I do have to say though, not your post, but many that came later- I mean, a user already picked up my project.  And a couple weeks have gone by and people are still making suggestions.  Good for any future searcher, but.... the guy's already started. Even if someone posted something that was close to what I was looking for, I'm not comfortable going to the guy and saying "Hey- forget all that work you already did, I found something else, never mind."  That would be rude and disrespectful, lol... imo.   Plus, of course, I'm very particular about what I want, lol... and most of the suggestions, while close, aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

And thank you for the comments about donating.  I'm just trying to avoid a situation where -   "Oh, around here donations are expected and usually start at <unexpected amount>".   

Thanks for your message, I'm glad to get that clarified, and I'll see you on the forum!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version