ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Start Menu mod

(1/2) > >>

c-sanchez:
I would like some kind of mod for the (Windows 7) start menu to allow something as two columns of programs.
Here a image of my idea.
Windows 7 / Start Menu mock up

KodeZwerg:
If you can live without any familiar features this would be feasible. (just the box with the items would be the result if I try.)
Else I would say: not possible, at least not for one that do give support in here as hobby-coder.
Nice how you shortened the names, also very hard to do by code.

rjbull:
Does it have to be the Start Menu as such?  I ask because I see you use Horst Schaeffer's MemPad.  If you're open to alternative launchers, have you tried his Qsel?

rjbull:
If it does have to be Start Menu modification, are you aware of these?

Welcome to the Open-Shell-Menu Open-Shell

Originally Classic Shell by Ivo Beltchev

GitHub Release GitHub Pre-Release Build status GitQ Gitter chat
Features

Classic style Start Menu for Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10
    Toolbar for Windows Explorer
    Classic copy UI (Windows 7 only)
    Show file size in Explorer status bar
    Title bar and status bar for Internet Explorer
--- End quote ---

Ordinarysoft's family of Start Menu replacements
Start Menu X with Start Button

Start Menu X is a replacement of the system menu for professionals. Compatible with Windows 10.
Power users know how inconvenient and time-consuming it is to launch programs from the system menu.
We have created a solution for you!

Virtual Groups
    Group programs by purpose (office applications, graphics, etc) without changing their location on the hard drive.

One-click start
    The PRO version allows you to assign a primary program to any folder and start it simply by clicking this folder.

Flexible configuration
    Customize the menu to your taste! Change the structure and add tabs.

From Windows XP up to Windows 10 (32 and 64 bit)
Freeware!

--- End quote ---
The Pro version is under $10.  The above is the blurb for Start Menu X, their latest version, but they also offer:

Start Button 8
Start Menu XP
Start Menu 7
Classic Start Menu ("Are you missing the Windows 7 Menu Classic?")
--- End quote ---
Vista Start Menu
Tidy Start Menu

c-sanchez:
Does it have to be the Start Menu as such?  I ask because I see you use Horst Schaeffer's MemPad.  If you're open to alternative launchers, have you tried his Qsel?
-rjbull (April 28, 2021, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
I tried QSel, it's a good program, light and does what it should, although I don't find it very nice to open a window to search a list of programs and have the start menu for others.
I've tried many other launchers, the ones I like the most are the ones that are a contextual menu in the system tray.

Portable Start Menu is a very good one, it's simple and clean but you can't customize the menu sort.
https://www.aignes.com/psmenu.htm

But of this type of launchers, the one I liked the most is TrayLauncher.
https://code.google.com/archive/p/traylauncher/

So far the best option (for my taste) I have found is Jumplist-Launcher.
creating a list of programs and adding it to the start menu is a good combination, it's a feature of Windows and doesn't keep any extra programs running in the background
https://jumplist-launcher.uptodown.com/windows

Having an additional start menu in addition to windows' own is not good at least for me.

Anyway the start menu + jumplist I think is a very good solution :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version