ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

Program to play inaudible sound continuously

<< < (3/4) > >>

app103:
Do you have a link to that app, app?
-Deozaan (April 09, 2021, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

You should first start here, to see if these instructions can solve your problem. If not, then keep reading.

My issue turned out to be a driver issue. Intel no longer supports the Bluetooth that's in my laptop, and won't issue updated drivers for it. The current drivers don't seem to work well with the latest Win10, and the power management settings seem to get ignored.

Before you go looking for another solution, though, try seeing if there is a driver update available for your existing Bluetooth hardware, first. If you are lucky, there will be one, and it will make your life much easier.

The app I was using was a very old freeware app that I found quite a few years ago on one of the Rutgers University subsites, but is no longer available there. I have attached it to this post.

For me, it was OK as a temporary work around, but not as a good long term solution, since I could actually hear the sound it generated, unless I went into Windows sound settings and turned the volume almost to mute, for just this app. It still created a bit of distortion, but not so bad that I couldn't live with it, temporarily.

As a long term solution to my Bluetooth issues, that works perfectly, I ended up buying this Bluetooth 5 dongle. (There's currently a coupon available, worth 30% off. Be sure to check the page for it)

Deozaan:
@KodeZwerg: I have good news and bad news. v0.4 appears to successfully recover from sleep now! But it is a bit worse in terms of the moment-to-moment usage. If there's no other audio playing, v0.4 makes the speakers crackle every few minutes when it detects the audio device.

@app103: Thanks for that. The info you linked was a dead end for me, and my BT dongle is a cheap generic Chinese product from DealExtreme or AliExpress or similar. It didn't come with drivers or any indication of the manufacturer or chipset so I'm reliant on Windows to determine what drivers it needs and whether or not there are updates available, and it says there are no updates. But the Wave Generator seems to work well. 10 Hz isn't audible (to me) from this speaker, so I don't mind this as a solution until I decide to spend the few dollars on a USB->audio jack dongle. I haven't tested whether or not it survives/recovers from my PC entering sleep mode since I stopped it so I could test out KodeZwerg's app, but I suspect I'll find that out sometime in the coming days. :Thmbsup:

KodeZwerg:
@KodeZwerg: I have good news and bad news. v0.4 appears to successfully recover from sleep now! But it is a bit worse in terms of the moment-to-moment usage. If there's no other audio playing, v0.4 makes the speakers crackle every few minutes when it detects the audio device.-Deozaan (April 12, 2021, 10:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

At least I do understand now what happen, thanks for that important information!  :Thmbsup:

The problem is in general how it works.  :'(

I have added again a micro change.
Running with verbose switch = every minute it detect audio.  (for debug purposes to see whats happen)
Running without verbose switch = every hour it detect audio. (for normal usage)
(it will recover, might need one hour to do so in worst case)

This will be the last CLI version since under CLI I do not have that much control.

Planned:
For my newly spawned "KodeZwerg's Realm" I will create GUI version of Tone Generator.
It might have same bug for you but also a "Re-Detetect" button to quick make it run again. (why "might" and not "will", because I am unsure of how I implement everything)
And other features that you do not need at all  8)

Deozaan:
I have added again a micro change.
Running with verbose switch = every minute it detect audio.  (for debug purposes to see whats happen)
Running without verbose switch = every hour it detect audio. (for normal usage)
(it will recover, might need one hour to do so in worst case)
-KodeZwerg (April 12, 2021, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

So... here's an idea. Let me know if this will work or if there's a reason this can't be done (or if you just don't want to do it, that's fine, too):

Can you check the system datetime every minute, and only detect audio if the datetime is significantly different from the last time it was checked? My thinking is that if the app checks the time before I put my PC to sleep, then when I wake it up again the next time the app checks the time it will see that several hours have passed.

So, I think something as simple as only detect audio if the clock has changed by 5+ minutes should be sufficient.

KodeZwerg:
Let me know if this will work or if there's a reason this can't be done (or if you just don't want to do it, that's fine, too):

Can you check the system datetime every minute, and only detect audio if the datetime is significantly different from the last time it was checked? My thinking is that if the app checks the time before I put my PC to sleep, then when I wake it up again the next time the app checks the time it will see that several hours have passed.

So, I think something as simple as only detect audio if the clock has changed by 5+ minutes should be sufficient.
-Deozaan (April 13, 2021, 12:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

To disappoint you in advance, your suggestion is not possible within CLI version.
BUT I did modified again a tiny bit of code and really really really (did i say really already?) really hope that it will fix all above issues without need to close and run app again.

What I have done now is the following:
run application without any switch = it will do the one hour loop task.
each hour it reset itself.
(yes, that we know already...)
if it does not find audio, instead of waiting in worst case another hour, i decreased the waiting time to 30seconds (DO NOT RUN THIS VERSION WITH "VERBOSE", it would spamm console memory aloooooooooot, use verbose only for testing)

What I can not say is for example how my app react within the one hour thread.
Like, start app, put pc to sleep / disconnect Audio device, wake up Pc and attach Audio (all within one hour)
If it break the chain to the thread (and recheck after 30sec again and again) or if it will dumb do its one hour task to then recognize "hey, no more device, lets wait 30sec to retry"...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version