ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cannot claim free space in C:\

<< < (2/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Sometimes it can happen that Rollback Rx itself can get confused and stuff on the HD may get scrambled.  I used the product on my Toshiba Laptop but I reverted to Macrium Reflect because RX can make scrambled eggs out of the storage esp. if you use it often.

I used to have a bookmark for their forum but I think it has moved to Reddit.

What I did on my desktop W7 PC I added a USB 3 docking station and plugged bare WD HD into it to download directly to the WD drive.  One issue I had because I mixed XP, W7 and Vista, there seems to be subtle differences in the NTFS file system across these OS.  Sometimes I got the error that the drive in the dock was not formatted when it was loaded with downloads.  So I lost some downloads but my systems themselves did not get corrupted.

Weird things can happen for sure.  It may be worth trying to ask at RollbackRX community.  If "Froggie" is still there he is excellent when it comes to RX side effect type problems.

MilesAhead:
I see you have Google drive.  On my current Laptop I only have 32 GB of storage.  I also have OneDrive.  I set OneDrive to only store the links locally rather than shadowing the files in the cloud.  But the system did not recognize the free space.  Wise Disk Cleaner fixed it for me.  I got about 8 GB of free space back.  As long as you can recover via your backups Wise may be worth a try.  But I would caution that it may not recognize the RollbackRX stuff.  It could delete all that if it mistakes it for HD corruption.

Shades:
How is your 'Thrash can' configured? You might throw files away after which Windows should report that more space has freed up. But that doesn't always work as smoothly as you would expect (by now). As suggested earlier, using the disk cleanup tools built into Windows fixes this.

Also, over time you Windows installation gets bogged down with applied patches and updates. Windows keeps a spare copy of each, so you can then roll back/forward your system. There are ways to get rid of those files, but do this with caution. Depending on the amount of patches/updates you gave collected over time, you could reclaim several GBytes on your C:\ partition. See this link for more info.

How is your 'pagefile.sys' configured? Depending on how that is configured, you could reclaim several GBytes on your C:\ partition. By default this is set to let the operating system handle it automatically. Over time the size of this file could have grown to a size that is unnecessary. You can disable the automatic management and set the minimal and maximum size of this file to the same size. I always use  a size of 2 times the available RAM when there is 4 GByte of RAM or less. If there is more than 4 GByte of RAM in the laptop, I set the min./max. values to the same amount of available RAM.

Windows 7 defrags your HDD drive on a weekly basis (by default). Once in a while you could use a different tool to defrag your drive. Disk Defraggler (freeware) can also defrag empty space on your drive. Often this results in a little bit more free space.

Do you use the 'Restore points' feature of Windows? By default this is enabled. Depending on how many of these restore points have been generated over time, you could reclaim a GByte or two on your C:\ partition. If you feel competent enough you could disable the feature and remove all remaining restore points. If not, you can reduce the amount of restore points manually or configure the feature to do this automatically for you.

There are usually two folders in the root folder of your C:\ partition, called: 'Temp' and 'TMP'. Open these folders, select everything and delete these files. The temporary files which are still ion use will not be deleted, but most of the collected cruft will. Don't expect to reclaim much free space with this though. You could do this on a regular basis, but not too regular as it can negatively affect your whole computing experience. Myself, I don't care about the results of emptying these folders, but people consider me weird over here.

Those are the immediate tricks that come to mind for reclaiming space on your drive.

wraith808:
Try running CHKDSK C: /R in PowerShell (you will need to restart).

Sometimes if there are issues with the file map on the drive space remains marked as in use after deleting files.

You could also use the built in Windows utility Disk Cleanup from the start menu (just click start and type Disk and it will popup, run it and click Clean System Files). If you have old leftover windows installations after updates they take up a lot of space (sometimes 30Gb+). Note it can take a long time to delete some stuff so be patient.
-Carol Haynes (March 30, 2021, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

A Carol sighting! It's great to see you again! Not as long as between your prior posts- but still a while without you around!

hulkbuster:
Try running CHKDSK C: /R in PowerShell (you will need to restart).

Sometimes if there are issues with the file map on the drive space remains marked as in use after deleting files.

You could also use the built in Windows utility Disk Cleanup from the start menu (just click start and type Disk and it will popup, run it and click Clean System Files). If you have old leftover windows installations after updates they take up a lot of space (sometimes 30Gb+). Note it can take a long time to delete some stuff so be patient.
-Carol Haynes (March 30, 2021, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
I did it 2-3 times just to be sure but it didn't stop or reverse the process.
So are any other ways. I m on a dual boot XP & 7.
But the vol with 7 is still showing problems. I was though thinking of doing that but payed little attention to it.
I don't what to do at this point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version