ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

GETTING ORGANIZED EXPERIMENT - WEEK TWO+THREE ASSIGNMENT

<< < (11/12) > >>

Lilly:
Hello all,

I just discovered this site. It was mentioned one of the mailing lists I am on.

I have been "trying" to use the GTD system for over a year now. I can never seem to make it fly, however. I am overwhelmed with my index cards full of ideas (the initial braindump), and I always seem to have something more urgent to do than to process cards. I just uninstalled the GTD Outlook plug-in because it was just not working for me. I'm going to give Clear Context a whirl, and see how that goes. I also just downloaded the "Instant Boss", so we'll see how that goes.

There are a lot of elements that I don't like with GTD (tickler file, the waiting on, etc.), but I always figured that I would come back to doing them. I think, after fighting with things for the last year, I realize that if it's not immediately in my face, I won't do it. Having an incredibly limited attention span will do that.

So what I've implemented so far is the Zero-Inbox (although there are still things in the @reply folder that I haven't touched), and the Hipster PDA.

I'm really looking forward to this experiment. I had already done the Week 1 assignment, and although the Week 2 was supposed to be completed by yesterday, I'm going to try to do that right now (since I have a year and a half to draw from), and go from there.

Thanks so much for this experiment. Just reading all the posts this morning has gotten me motivated, and I'm looking forward to more of it.

mouser:
welcome Lilly!
I also have no use for the tickler stuff.

I've been using an index card approach lately and i like it.  based on gtd.

what i've been doing is i have sections for "TOMORROW, WEEK, MONTH, LONGTERM" so that each day i go grab the stuff i PLAN to do the current day and bring those cards up front.  then i put stuff for tomorrow in the TOMORROW section, and file others into week, month, etc. 

Lilly:
welcome Lilly!
I also have no use for the tickler stuff.

I've been using an index card approach lately and i like it.  based on gtd.

what i've been doing is i have sections for "TOMORROW, WEEK, MONTH, LONGTERM" so that each day i go grab the stuff i PLAN to do the current day and bring those cards up front.  then i put stuff for tomorrow in the TOMORROW section, and file others into week, month, etc. 
-mouser (September 16, 2006, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am going to try that and see how it goes.

I also have to say that whoever recommended "Instant Boss" is a godsend! I had no idea that my ability to gauge time (2 minutes break and 10 minutes) is so off! It's amazing! I'm giving it a try today, and already I'm really stunned at how off my internal clock is. No wonder I keep wasting so much time faffing around! Yeesh!

This software is definitely a keeper.

And, lastly, thank you for the welcome! I'm very excited to be here.

mouser:
Lilly, InstantBoss was actually written by one of the coders on our site (April), based on an idea from one of the members of this forum, so it's great to hear you like it.  :up:

app103:
Lilly, I am glad you like it and find it useful.

If you have any suggestions on how I can make it even more useful, I'd be glad to hear them.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version