ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Whoever understands NFTs let's make one for DonationCoder

<< < (2/5) > >>

Deozaan:
FYI, minting an NFC on Ethereum is crazy expensive right now because the blocks are full so the gas (transaction) fees are really high as everyone competes to get their transaction included in a block. Also, if you're someone who is concerned about your carbon footprint, there has been some pushback on NFTs due to the incredible electricity costs required to mint them on Proof of Work blockchains. I read that the power consumption to mint a single NFT in 10 seconds could have powered the average home for about 4 days. And that a single artist's NFTs have had an equivalent of nearly 80 years of power consumption.

Whereas minting an NFC on a Proof of Stake blockchain such as Tezos is cheap and fast and uses very little electrical resources.

If you wanted to mint an NFC on Tezos, there's a site that makes it pretty easy (assuming you already have a wallet, etc.): https://www.hicetnunc.xyz/mint

And here's a fairly thorough guide which includes setting up a wallet: https://xtz.news/tezos-user-guides/nfts/getting-started-as-an-nft-artist-on-tezos-using-hicetnunc/

Deozaan:
Speaking of which, this article was published a couple hours ago:

Proof of Work vs. Proof of Stake: the Ecological Footprint

tomos:
Speaking of which, this article was published a couple hours ago:

Proof of Work vs. Proof of Stake: the Ecological Footprint
-Deozaan (March 16, 2021, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting your comments and links re energy consumption Deozaan. Some crazy statistics :-/

the power consumption to mint a single NFT in 10 seconds could have powered the average home for about 4 days. And that a single artist's NFTs have had an equivalent of nearly 80 years of power consumption.
-Deozaan (March 16, 2021, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Deozaan:
To clarify, it's not the act of minting an NFT itself that uses so much electricity. It's just the state of the blockchain itself and the mad gold rush driving up the prices, and therefore driving up the mining competition. So virtually anything you do if you're using those power-hungry blockchains like Bitcoin and Ethereum will have a similar cost and effect.

The good news for users of Ethereum is that they are taking steps to transition to proof of stake. But I've been hearing about that for about 4 years or so by now, so I have no idea how soon it will actually materialize.

And as far as I know there's nothing in the pipeline for Bitcoin to reduce its energy consumption.

wraith808:
The good news for users of Ethereum is that they are taking steps to transition to proof of stake.
-Deozaan (March 17, 2021, 03:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

For anyone that didn't know what Proof of Stake was, I did the research for you as I didn't know either.

Proof of Stake (PoS) (via Investopedia)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version