ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Automatic Screenshotter

Automatic ScreenShotter Thoughts

(1/3) > >>

sphere:
What a great application.  Tried this out for a number of hours and it worked really well.  I was toggling between Email, a Word processing document and the browser. My use case was keeping a somewhat searchable visual log of what I had done/was doing.

The only issue I ran into was when deleting the images from the internal screenshot browser. I needed to back out of the folder containing the images I had deleted and then navigate back in for the image thumbnails to disappear.

I figured I would leave a few quick comments and thoughts.  I put some thoughts in this thread already regarding more file/window context in the filename. Add window title to custom naming

I think that for my use case, having program specific profiles for capture would be useful.  When I am in the word processing program, I do not need as frequent captures.  In fact captures based on pixel difference seemed enough.  When in my email client I could see it being helpful to capture only emails that had been opened in a new window or that I was replying/forwarding or composing.  If it is possible to utilize the windows title like mentioned in the other thread,  then I wonder if it would be possible  to only screen capture windows with "re:" or "fwd:" or some other keyword in the window name, as that would limit the number of captures when working in the email client. I imagine that having application specific capture profiles could be difficult to implement. What might be easier is having different profiles and being able to switch between them with a hot key.

I really liked the capture when shifting the focus window, but with the task I was doing,  it resulted in many unneeded captures. I wonder if it would be possible to set to not capture with a focus change, IF  a focus change capture was made within a certain amount of time, or IF a focus change was made between two specific applications within a certain time?

Having captures during certain events might also be helpful.  Like when saving a file.  It would be important to capture after the input, so perhaps using the pixel compare to wait until a certain number of characters were input before doing the capture?

When browsing web pages, there just was not a way I see to make screen captures work better.  Having a separate profile might help.  Maybe turning off captures when if scrolling? I have a scroll button on my mouse :D

I also wish there was a way of choosing the frame of a specific window, to cut out the stuff I really dd not need for my uses. So for instance,  the menu bar and tool bar on the word processor and in the email compose client.  I do not think there is a way to auto select the inner most frame.   I did see the user could define a specific area to be captured. Which is a way to make this work.

If someone were using this to audit their time, I could see it being helpful to add a "project" tag and be able to apply that tag to the captures being collected. 

Again. Really cool application.

mouser:
Great suggestions, give me a day or two to comment intelligently about them..

sphere:
No problem. Take your time.  This is not a time sensitive thing at all for me and I am not on donationcoder every day. 

I also wish there was a way of choosing the frame of a specific window, to cut out the stuff I really dd not need for my uses. So for instance,  the menu bar and tool bar on the word processor and in the email compose client.  I do not think there is a way to auto select the inner most frame.   I did see the user could define a specific area to be captured. Which is a way to make this work.
-sphere (March 09, 2021, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had an additional thought on this. I wonder if it was possible to have the screenshot determined by the mouse or curser location.   Like a box defined by a certain distance out from whatever point that is.  Some screen recording software allow you to zoom in and follow the mouse. So Something similar to that.

mouser:
The only issue I ran into was when deleting the images from the internal screenshot browser. I needed to back out of the folder containing the images I had deleted and then navigate back in for the image thumbnails to disappear.
--- End quote ---
sounds like a bug, ill check it.

Add window title to custom naming
--- End quote ---
added to todo list, that's an easy one.

having program specific profiles for capture would be useful.
--- End quote ---

that's a good idea.. but not so easy to do.

If someone were using this to audit their time, I could see it being helpful to add a "project" tag and be able to apply that tag to the captures being collected.
--- End quote ---
I like this idea.. i may add a right-click menu item to set the project tag (maybe hotkey too).

sphere:
--- End quote ---
sounds like a bug, ill check it. -mouser (March 11, 2021, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

It made sense once I backed out.   But it was not my expectation. So user error/ignorance. 

Add window title to custom naming
--- End quote ---
added to todo list, that's an easy one. -mouser (March 11, 2021, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

This would be a great help.

having program specific profiles for capture would be useful.
--- End quote ---

that's a good idea.. but not so easy to do. -mouser (March 11, 2021, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I understand completely.  As I said, much of my aim was trying to create a searchable visual log.  To that end, reducing the number of screen captures needing to be searched and ensuring the screen captures are as meaningful as possible was key.  I do wonder if there are easier ways to achieve the same thing as program or window title profiles.   

--- End quote ---
I like this idea.. i may add a right-click menu item to set the project tag (maybe hotkey too).
-mouser (March 11, 2021, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very cool.  I  think the hotkey could be really nice to toggle between tags.

No problem. Take your time.  This is not a time sensitive thing at all for me and I am not on donationcoder every day. 

-sphere (March 09, 2021, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had an additional thought on this. I wonder if it was possible to have the screenshot determined by the mouse or curser location.   Like a box defined by a certain distance out from whatever point that is.  Some screen recording software allow you to zoom in and follow the mouse. So Something similar to that.
-sphere (March 10, 2021, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I did want to follow up on this point.  Is it possible to have the area being captured to be anchored some how by the location of the mouse or cursor?  This is another way of addressing the focus of the user.  So for instance, if typing, the cursor will be near the text I am interested in capturing.  I could simply have a user defined box follow the cursor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version