ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Earning More with Cryptocurrency

<< < (5/6) > >>

Target:
FWIW apparently MIT has a course on this stuff, links to the lectures from an Open culture page HERE...

Stoic Joker:
Potentially stupid question about the Ethereum Hard Fork, but I gotta ask...

My understanding of a hard fork is that when it splits all coin that exists in the original, also then exists in the forked off coin...like when BCH forked off of BTC. So if ETH is hard forking...what is it hard forking to? My intention is to buy into ETH so it effectively doubles when the fork hits, I'm just not sure what my the other side target is (ETH2?). And I cannot find anything online that confirms my plan, or if I'm completely off my nut here?

Am I completely nuts here, or will this work, and what will it be?

Deozaan:
Potentially stupid question about the Ethereum Hard Fork, but I gotta ask...

My understanding of a hard fork is that when it splits all coin that exists in the original, also then exists in the forked off coin...like when BCH forked off of BTC. So if ETH is hard forking...what is it hard forking to? My intention is to buy into ETH so it effectively doubles when the fork hits, I'm just not sure what my the other side target is (ETH2?). And I cannot find anything online that confirms my plan, or if I'm completely off my nut here?
-Stoic Joker (July 21, 2021, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't really know anything about the upcoming Ethereum fork, so take this info with a grain of salt. But just because there's a fork doesn't mean there's going to be twice as many useful coins. If the fork isn't contentious, and everyone will happily be changing over to the new fork, then it is essentially a protocol upgrade and there won't really be any more coins than before.

But if the fork is contentious, and there are enough people who value the old fork over the new one (as was the case with BTC/BCH and ETH/ETC), then you will indeed have twice as many coins as before. But they won't necessarily be worth the same amount in terms of USD as before.

If you can't find any information about "the two sides" of the upcoming fork, then my guess is that the fork is more akin to a protocol upgrade with no real split/duplication of the currency.

Stoic Joker:
If you can't find any information about "the two sides" of the upcoming fork, then my guess is that the fork is more akin to a protocol upgrade with no real split/duplication of the currency.-Deozaan (July 21, 2021, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well...shit. That's the answer I was afraid of. But it is an answer none-the-less.

Thank you,

4wd:
If you can't find any information about "the two sides" of the upcoming fork, then my guess is that the fork is more akin to a protocol upgrade with no real split/duplication of the currency.-Deozaan (July 21, 2021, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well...shit. That's the answer I was afraid of. But it is an answer none-the-less.-Stoic Joker (July 22, 2021, 05:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ethereum London Fork

Two of the largest mining pools are on opposite sides, the larger wants no change because it will reduce their transaction derived income by a rather dramatic amount, (they're saying ~50%).

The next larger thinks that it will be good for ETH in the long term and so are for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version