ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

USH-II SD Card compatible with my HP?

(1/3) > >>

kunkel321:
This is a 'hardware' question rather than a 'software' question. 

My work laptop is an HP Pavilion.  This one, I think: PAVILION 13 SERIES PAVILION 13-S120NR X360.  It has a measly 100GB hard drive.   I'm thinking of getting an SD Card to use for extra space.  They have Ultra High Speed ones now that are rated for 300mbs/sec.  Does anyone know how to check if my SD slot is even designed for UHS use?   The HP site is here:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04790206#AbT0 It just says, "Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader."  If it was a high speed one, it would probably say so--yes? 

EDIT:  Additional info:
https://i.imgur.com/MgxKRUD.png

SCS IVDiskSan Disk   SD8S BAT128G1122Z233
SCS KDskSan Disk   SD8S B AT128G1122
SC SI \Disk San Disk_
SCSINSan Disk   SD8S BAT128G1122Z
San Disk   S D8SBAT128G1122Z
Gen Disk

Shades:
The service manual from your device states the card reader is made by RealTek. The HP driver download website tells me that the most modern driver for your device is: Realtek Card Reader Driver 10.0.10125.21277 Rev.C.

You can download a slightly newer driver from the RealTek downloads section of their website, but there is likely not much to gain by that. Anyway, On the Realtek website I found that set of chips they use for card readers is labelled: RTS5169

There is where you will find any and all formats the SD card reader supports. But from what I gather on the last link, no support for the fastest SD card models. TBH, couldn't be arsed into looking up what speeds it does support as SD card manufacturers and their standards committee make almost as bad a mess as the fools that man the current USB standards committee. Both are equally deserving of being taken behind the shed for disposal...in a similar painful way as well, if you'd ask me. And I know you didn't.

Also, your device is sporting a 6th generation Intel CPU. And not the best ones available in that generation, so you shouldn't expect too much from your card reader regardless. As always, when you have high I/O demands, you better have a powerful CPU (with equally powerful supportive chipset) capable of processing that amount of I/O. Especially a problem in low- and mid-range budget laptops which by definition need to compromise on hardware, because of cooling limitations, battery-life and parts prices. On a side note: the current Intel CPU family is designated as 11th generation, so a 6th generation CPU is getting a bit long in the tooth in 'hardware years', which is quite similar to the concept of 'dog years'.

4wd:
According to the drivers available it uses a Realtek chip for the card reader and RealTek only list one on their website, the RTS5169 which supports SD version 2.

According to SanDisk, UHS-II was part of SD version 4, (UHS-I was version 3).

HP Drivers
Realtek
SanDisk

Considering the drivers are dated 2015 and it wasn't until ~2014 that UHS-II was available in very very few cameras, the odds are against it being incorporated into a laptop of that age.

You should also be aware that SD version 2 apparently also specifies a maximum of 32GB for a SDHC card.

SDXC (SD v3) cards aren't supported.

EDIT: Shades snuck in before me :P

The Short Version: A decent USB 3 flash drive will be faster and is available in larger capacities than any SD card your laptop can handle.

Shades:
EDIT: Shades snuck in before me :P
-4wd (February 27, 2021, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Only because of my laziness to look up the SD standards conversion tables for names given out by standard committees and names given out by manufacturer's marketing departments.....  :D

kunkel321:
LOL   You guys are a hoot.  Thanks for the detailed responses and resources.   The laptop has a couple of USB 3.0 slots and I do have a fast thumb drive that I've been using.  Of course it sticks out of the side, daring me to break it off.  I figured with an SD Card I could leave it in all the time.  I wasn't aware of the 32GB limit though.  So that's no good. 

Here are some of the other specs--if you're curious.  It's an okay little laptop, I guess.  The limitations are sucky though.  I believe it only has one RAM card.  I found a tutorial on youtube, and apparently you have to take the whole bloody thing apart to access it.  Like really, the laptop is in pieces before you can get to the RAM.  Whoever came up with that aught to be taken behind the shed with those other two guys...

Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz   2.30 GHz
Installed RAM   4.00 GB
System type   64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch   Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

EDIT:  Actually, from looking at that manual, maybe it does take two RAM cards?  IDK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version