topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [Feature Request] ClipBar function in CHS  (Read 5244 times)

saumu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[Feature Request] ClipBar function in CHS
« on: February 18, 2021, 01:34 PM »
have been a ClipMate user for a long time and despite the stopped development and lack of unicode support on feature has kept me with ClipMate all these years, the ClipBar:

clipbar_dropdown.gif[Feature Request] ClipBar function in CHS

it is really convenient to be able to see your active clips at a glance in the task bar. i'd really like to see this feature in CHS because then, i'd finally be able to say goodbye to ClipMate and use an actively developed clipboard manager.

Thank you.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: [Feature Request] ClipBar function in CHS
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 05:01 AM »
For a while now I've been considering making a small stay-on-top window that shows your most recent clips.  Do you feel strongly this needs to be in the taskbar?  What if it just floated somewhere on your screen, would that be good enough?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 04:27 PM »
For a while now I've been considering making a small stay-on-top window that shows your most recent clips.  Do you feel strongly this needs to be in the taskbar?  What if it just floated somewhere on your screen, would that be good enough?
Maybe you could optionally make it "hide" at a screen edge, with a narrow line to show where it is, and "bump" the line to show full size?

saumu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 01:52 PM »

great to see you replying to the thread and addressing the request.

i really do feel strongly about the feature, the advantage of having the recent clips in the taskbar is that it is out of the way of programs on the screen. the stay on top window would be a bit distracting especially if you have no need for the clipboard at the time. rjbull's suggestion would be a solution to the issue of the stay on top clipboard window being always visible but there is also a chance of accidentally showing the window when going about your business around the desktop.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 02:56 PM »
rjbull's suggestion would be a solution to the issue of the stay on top clipboard window being always visible but there is also a chance of accidentally showing the window when going about your business around the desktop.
So there is, but it's usually minimised by making the "bump zone" small.  See attached image, which is a narrow slice of my screen with the bump zone for PowerPro
2021-02-23_204505.jpg[Feature Request] ClipBar function in CHS bump2.gif[Feature Request] ClipBar function in CHS
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:47 PM by rjbull, Reason: Added not-very-well-animated GIF »

saumu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 05:39 PM »
Thank you for your continued feedback on this feature.

just thought about it, the clipbar has an advantage(in my view) over the bump feature: permanent visibility of the last item entered into the clipboard without using any mouse or keyboard inputs. with the bump feature, a user would have to move their mouse over to the bump zone while with the clipbar a glance is all it takes to see what is in the clipboard currently.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 04:46 PM »
with the bump feature, a user would have to move their mouse over to the bump zone while with the clipbar a glance is all it takes to see what is in the clipboard currently.

True, but it may depend on your circumstances. E.g., if you're using a big monitor with plenty of space, permanent visibility would work well.  OTOH, if you're on an ultraportable with a sub-13 inch screen, maybe a clipbar would obscure too much of the underlying program.  In the latter case, it might help if the clipbar could have adjustable transparency.

If you're transferring a lot of data in one go, do you have a case where CHS' stack system that
will let you easily copy multiple clips into a stack (queue), and then paste them back out individually (or as a block) in a First-In-First-Out (FIFO) order
would help?

saumu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 06:13 PM »

True, but it may depend on your circumstances. E.g., if you're using a big monitor with plenty of space, permanent visibility would work well.  OTOH, if you're on an ultraportable with a sub-13 inch screen, maybe a clipbar would obscure too much of the underlying program.  In the latter case, it might help if the clipbar could have adjustable transparency.

the clipbar would be in the taskbar and in ClipMate's case is resizable so the ultraportable user would be able to resize the clipbar width to fit their needs.

If you're transferring a lot of data in one go, do you have a case where CHS' stack system that
will let you easily copy multiple clips into a stack (queue), and then paste them back out individually (or as a block) in a First-In-First-Out (FIFO) order
would help?

the stack system comes in handy in online forms, registration forms and also when tagging music where you deal with a lot of fields.