ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

For the love of all that is holy stop the ctrl+MouseWheel text scaling - SOLVED

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
MX Master 3

4wd:
A bit of AutoHK to apparently fix it:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-desktop/disable-ctrl-mouse-wheel-scrolling-zoom-in-windows/d331fdab-8d5f-41ca-bf0f-d985bfdd5a59

mouser:
AHK (and airvine2 the person who made that ahk post) to the rescue! Thanks for finding that 4wd.
So now I just need to tweak this scipt so that I can still do Ctrl+Mousewheel when I want to.. perhaps by remapping Ctrl+Alt+Wheel to send Ctrl+Wheel (actually it looks like Ctrl+Alt+Wheel zooms the size also, so maybe as long as the AHK script doesn't catch both it's all good).

EDIT: Works perfectly, no editing needed.  Ctrl+MouseWheel scroll is disabled, but I can trigger it when I need to with Ctrl+Alt+Wheel.  This solution is perfect since Ctrl+Alt is almost never used by me, so it's not something I will accidentally hit while trying to do something else the wheel is still free spinning.

Awesomeness -- I should have asked this question weeks ago.  DonationCoder forum (and AHK) to the rescue!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

publicdomain:
Is there a way to turn off this evil behavior?
-mouser (February 15, 2021, 02:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, I've opened the "Holy Stop" repository to work on a solution that blocks the events based on a bool/flag + a KB/mouse hook.

-

Let's call the boolean "blockScaling".

Monitor:

A: Mouse wheel scroll, no control/Ctrl key.
B: Ctrl keydown, no mouse wheel.
C: ctrl+MouseWheel.
D: Ctrl keyup, no mouse wheel.

PSEUDO:

A, then C: blockScaling = true;
(Assume momentum scroll)

B: blockScaling = false;
(Assume manual keypress / intent)

D: blockScaling = true;
(Assume end of user intent)

IF ctrl+MouseWheel AND blockScaling = false then
    ALLOW ctrl+MouseWheel
ELSE
    BLOCK ctrl+MouseWheel

---

The idea being to ENSURE you have clicked CONTROL down before allowing the passing/processing of ctrl+MouseWheel for regular text scaling.

When it's the WM_MOUSEWHEEL message with no modifier, disable it until next manual intent on Ctrl keydown.

This can work, so it's worth a try for a February release :)

Cheers! :Thmbsup:

ich thys:
I'm glad I saw this. Been having trouble with my vision and new laptop screen displaying text a little smaller than I can comfortably read without squinting. Your problem is my solution, in a sense. I've tried your ctrl plus mouse wheel, and so far it works to enlarge text in Brave and Edge (which seems to stay that way until deliberately changed), as well as MS Word 2003 (which reverts with file switching).
My plain Jane mouse; Amazon Basics 3-Button USB Wired Computer Mouse (Black).
Even better yet, the browsers don't add an unwanted bottom scroll bar in the process; they just make text more readable. Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version