ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Speedtest of my Internet browsers :-(

<< < (2/2)

Shades:
Tracert is a command-line tool that is built into Windows. Although it is useful for the task, there are many ways to improve on it. If you want to spend money and have a GUI version, which does a lot more than just show you just the dry numbers that 'tracert' does, use a tool called: PingPlotter. I found the output from that tool (when trialing it) to be very helpful and much better to understand. But thought the price tag didn't match the features.

However, then there was:  TraceRoute NG (from SolarWinds). This is also a command-line tool, hasn't got all the extra features of PingPlotter, but it does have a similar output overview as PingPlotter has and it is free. On the SolarWinds website is a short but very descriptive video that shows you what it does and how the output looks.

Both PingPlotter and TraceRoute NG repeat their tests and generate a log from these results. Send this type of logging to the helpdesk of your ISP and you will get very different responses from them, as they have a log with data-points to take action on.

Regarding AdGuard:
Better buy a RaspBerry Pi (about 35 USD) and install Pi-Hole (free) on it. Then adjust the DNS settings from all your networking devices to use the Raspberry Pi as their DNS server instead of the DNS server you currently use (usually the DNS server(s) from your ISP). Now you will see that most, if not all ads are gone from your computer(s), tablets, phones, smart TV(s) etc.

If that is too much of a stretch, there is software (for Windows) that does the same. Technitium DNS is one example. Although this type of software makes this part of DNS management pretty simple, it isn't hard to imagine that it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

An alternative of sorts exists for FireFox and Chrome/Chromium-based browsers. It is called: uMatrix.  This extension will not execute any background script (from other websites than the one you are visiting), not load images or cookies and lots more things. While that all sounds great, it does affect the look and functionality of websites. With some it only a little, with others severely. But it does get rid of ads.

However, when it is loading a page the extension does keep track of what it loads and doesn't load. At any time you can access a matrix where you can easily see what has been loaded (green matrix slot) and what isn't loaded (red matrix slot). You can enable red matrix slots one by one or all at once. You can store your specific setup, so every time you visit this website again, it will use those settings again.

But as many people visit many different websites, setting up uMatrix for each site is getting old very quickly. And if a website makes a change 'under the hood', you will need to repeat setting up uMatrix again. Which makes it only an alternative of sorts. However, if you can stomach working with uMatrix, you will see dramatic speed increase in loading your favorite websites. And ads free too.

Be warned though. if uMatrix is enabled and you visit Twitter you will see a practically empty page in your browser. FaceBook does the same. There will be more examples of this. Personally, I don't care one iota about FaceBook or Twitter, so it isn't a problem for me. Just mentioning it.

Another disadvantage is that you need to repeat this for every browser you use, on any device you use. So there is the possibility that uMatrix becomes more of a headache than it is worth.

4wd:
I expect the problem is inside my computer, not in the network; We are 400 apartments, theoretically with the same wiring, but I am the only one complaining...-Curt (January 23, 2021, 03:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

To start with I'd boot into Safe Mode with Networking, fire up Edge (or any browser with zero add-ons), and then do your speed test, (personally I'd use an ftp transfer but this is easier), so there'll be no extra background programs running.

If I'm following this right, (which is not normally the case as I get older ;D), you get 400Mbps on the computer, 800+Mbps on your phone (via WiFi) through the same router, modem, and ISP.

Your problem is more than likely your computer:

* You're running too much crap doing background networking.
* You're running crap extensions in your browsers.
* The network settings are seriously screwed up.
* etc, etc.
For the first, boot your computer, start Task Manager, switch to Performance tab, and select your network connection on the left - you should have close to zero data transfer, (or sub-100Kbps), if it's just idling along, (no updates or anything).
If it's high then it's time to start trying to find what's sucking data.

For the second, download the PortableApps version of Firefox and try that or start Firefox in Safe mode.

For the third ... you could try running the Network Troubleshooter, All Settings->Network & Internet->Network Troubleshooter.  If that appears to not help then it's time to get into the crap you normally don't want to ;)

PS. It's Mbps not MBps, 1000 Mbps = 125 MBps  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version