ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is it possible to work on two laptops from the screen of one of these laptops?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Stoic Joker:
There are enough free software tools, already mentioned above, that don't need a Windows Pro license.
-Ath (January 22, 2021, 04:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think that she was just offering an alternative.  If they have a pro license already, then this is the path of least resistance.
-wraith808 (January 22, 2021, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Amen to that! I love RDP … And spend most of my days using it on remote systems.

wraith808:
Same here.  It also gets me into my work systems from home without having to either (a) use their machine or (b) give them access to mine.  I set up a VM using VirtualBox, connect to VPN from there, and then RDP into my work box.  The other options are nice in a bind, and I've used them before.  But RDP is my choice when it's available.

40hz:
RDP through Remmina is my fav since my main machine is a Linux box.

Supports good security too.

Shades:
I have been playing with Apache Guacamole. Only available for Linux but runs happily in a VM.

With Apache Guacamole you can setup RDP, VNC and SSH type of connections. Furthermore you can make any set of these connections available per user (and/or user group) that is created within this software. But if you are already running a different solution for user management in your network, Guacamole has support for (a few of) those as well. You can also add 2FA to it. You can also link it to an RDP gateway. You can allow access only between a configurable set of hours per day. Or a period. Manually terminating open sessions from the session overview is easy. Sessions are logged as well.

After it is setup, the only thing you need to do is to point your (HTML5) browser to the Guacamole server, login and select which RDP, VNC and/or SSH connection made available to you and you'll be managing the selected system from within your browser, using HTTPS. So, no need to open up extra ports on your firewall, while having all the goodness of RDP at your fingertips.

If you run this in your own home network, you hardly need to learn much about it, while it would make using 2 (or more) computers with one screen, mouse and keyboard easy. However, it will act as a very nice step-stone server in a commercial environment. From what I have seen behind the link provided by 40hz (thanks for that, btw), the tools and configuration screens it showed, were very sparse with configuration options for RDP connections.

Guacamole comes with a boatload of options to configure most, if not all, features built into the RDP protocol. It is an open source project, so you can use it for free, even in commercial environments. All these features might not make it the most easy option out there, but it sure is mighty.

You can get a pre-configured Apache Guacamole VM on the Bitnami website to quickly test it out. On-premise or in the Cloud.

kalos:
I am a bit disappointed that no one suggested a KVM switch.

I think this is the cheapest and easiest solution with almost no latency. I am not sure why no one knew about that.

The local network solution is very unattractive. Too complex, requires an expensive router etc.

From little research, I think KVM switches basically do exactly what I want and much cheaper (some can cost $15).

Any comment?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version