ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is it possible to work on two laptops from the screen of one of these laptops?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Shades:
As long as both laptops can connect to the internet, whether you use a wire to connect one or both laptops or just WiFi, AnyDesk will establish the connection between your laptops. There is very little, if any, lags between local computers. After AnyDesk confirms both local computers, no more traffic goes through the internet anymore, everything is directed through the local network.

If WiFi at your home is crap, you are likely using a channel that is occupied by other WiFi networks in your neighborhood. Better use a lesser used channel. The best channels to use are channels 1, 6 and 11. In your home WiFi network are, I hope, no WiFi repeaters? Or WiFi extenders (same thing as a repeater, just a different name)? Because those introduce all kinds of issues, like stealing 50% of your available bandwidth or more, extra latency etc. You call it lag, but the proper name for what you experience in your network is latency.

So, if you have the option to connect a network cable to one or both laptops, I would suggest you do that. That eliminates most, if not all, of your latency problems. Network Cables, also known as 'UTP' cable or 'Cat 5e' cable (or 'Cat 6'), may never be longer than 100 meters. But that length gives you more than enough opportunity to hide the cable in nooks and crannies of your house, out of sight of your partner/visitors.

Or do what I did, used an opening in the wall of an AC unit (split) to make the cable "travel" around the house and entered the cable back into the house using the hole in the wall from a different AC unit (split). I currently occupy a house that has 9 AC units installed (a 10 meter by 45 meter house with 2 floors, so 900 square meters). But no-one complains about the cable that runs outside the house and instead enjoy good WiFi throughout the whole house and garden with only 2 WiFi routers.

Because the cable is outside, I could place the WiFi routers optimally, which really makes a big difference. That and hard-coded channels, because the auto-configuration of channels of your WiFi equipment, while many other WiFi networks in the neighborhood are active, is always messy and everyone ends up with a sub-optimal selection of channels, so lots of cross-talk between devices, badly affecting range, bandwidth and latency.

WiFi 6 only comes in new (and not the cheapest models of) laptops. And it requires the routing device in your network to support WiFi 6 as well. So, you'll need to purchase that as well. And isn't the WiFi 6 standard still not completely ratified? You can get WiFi 6 equipment all right, but you'll get equipment where manufacturers have filled in the "gaps" of the WiFi 6 standard with what they themselves think fits. It is unlikely that you'll buy a dud for WiFi 6 equipment (from reputable manufacturers), but as far as I know the WiFi 6 standard isn't finished. They sure take their sweet time with that.

Shades:
Here is an example screenshot of my desktop (1920x1080p resolution) accessing my local server without a monitor (default resolution becomes 1024x768). All on the same monitor. It is a better experience when both systems make use of the same resolution, whatever that may be. But if that is not the case, AnyDesk will either scale or shrink, depending on how you will setup the connection between laptops.

Is it possible to work on two laptops from the screen of one of these laptops?

ConstanceJill:
Hi,

Assuming that both laptops are running Windows, if the one you want to access remotely has a "Pro" or "better" version of Windows, you should be able to connect to it using Remote Desktop Protocol. The remote desktop client (mstsc.exe) is available on all Windows versions, so the client doesn't need to have a Pro licence.

Ath:
you should be able to connect to it using Remote Desktop Protocol
-ConstanceJill (January 22, 2021, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
There are enough free software tools, already mentioned above, that don't need a Windows Pro license.

Assuming the OP hasn't responded for a couple of days, he may already have a solution in place, and just forgot to mention that here. :-\

wraith808:
There are enough free software tools, already mentioned above, that don't need a Windows Pro license.
-Ath (January 22, 2021, 04:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think that she was just offering an alternative.  If they have a pro license already, then this is the path of least resistance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version