topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Does this gadget exist? Physical light-up bulb with programmable triggers  (Read 7642 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
While doing a livestream on my youtube channel i realized it would be nice to have a dedicated little light bulb that could be triggered to turn on in certain events, like if a certain person used a certain keyword in the chat, etc.

It would be nice to have a programmable little piece of lightup hardware (arduino? raspberry pi?) for such purposes..

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interesting concept :up:

I think it will require at least 2 parts:
  • Computer-side that's monitoring the chat, YouTube counter or whatever
  • Hardware to switch the bulb

For the hardware, many ESP based devices are available, like Sonoff S20/S26 or Shelly, but it may need a firmware replacement as the regular API isn't that easy. I'm currently involved in the development of ESPEasy, that is very usable on ESP8266 and ESP32 based devices. With simple http GET requests you can control such device, but, some assembly required.

I know that a few years back, many developers set up lava lamps to show the commit pre-checks and build results of their CI/CD pipelines, not sure if that is still used much, as it requires physical availability of people to see the lights. Nowadays, with most of development wfh/remote there must be other ways ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
While doing a livestream on my youtube channel i realized it would be nice to have a dedicated little light bulb that could be triggered to turn on in certain events, like if a certain person used a certain keyword in the chat, etc.

It would be nice to have a programmable little piece of lightup hardware (arduino? raspberry pi?) for such purposes..

I did something similar using a hacked Amazon Dash Button, A simple smart outlet, and IFTTT.

Since you're just using twitch notifications, you don't need the button to send the signal... hook it up to the twitch actions to hit the Meross smart plug in IFTTT.

And those are just the prebuilt actions.  If you have a pro account on IFTTT, you can create custom actions, and use webhooks from the Twitch API

The IFTTT options for Twitch -

ifthis.png

Lifx bulbs are a bit more expensive, but I prefer those to the plugs.

You can also set up chat bots to listen for certain things in chat- refer to the API reference:  https://dev.twitch.tv/docs/irc

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
It is possible.

Example @ the following:
https://www.reddit.c...g_behind_me_in_zoom/

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This looks promissing:
https://blink1.thingm.com/
https://www.amazon.c...p/product/B07Q8944QK

"blink(1) is the world’s best indicator light, designed to give you glanceable notice of anything on your computer or the internet. blink(1) makes it easy to connect any data source in the cloud..."

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Granted I'm working from memory here... But I seem to recall that there was a line of IoT "Smart" lightbulbs that could be controlled wirelessly available in most hardware stores.

I could be completely off my nut - But I could swear that I ran across these once awhile back.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah! ...I'm not crazy.

Something like this perhaps?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah! ...I'm not crazy.

Same thing as what I mentioned above- just a different brand :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I ordered a blink(1)..  Now to write some code for it..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've got a proof of concept working with the thing blink, using a simple custom discord bot.. So someone can type a trigger into discord and the bot will start the led blinking, where i can clear it after i check out the issue.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah! ...I'm not crazy.

Same thing as what I mentioned above- just a different brand :)

Ah! Okay … I was in a hurry, and just tossed it out on the run.

I might aughta play with some of this stuff one of these days - But the (lack of IoT security) paranoid in me makes it difficult

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't know Mouser... But I saw a remote controlled bidet on Amazon.   So you don't have to be there when you rinse yourself--apparently.

Hey, what's your Youtube channel abour?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey, what's your Youtube channel abour?

https://www.donation....msg443025#msg443025

That's the thread in which he introduces the project.

I might aughta play with some of this stuff one of these days - But the (lack of IoT security) paranoid in me makes it difficult

Because of that, there are some things I won't use IOT, but others... if someone turns my lights on and off, I don't really care.  I just keep it behind a firewall on a different subnet.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't know Mouser... But I saw a remote controlled bidet on Amazon.   So you don't have to be there when you rinse yourself--apparently.

I thought you were going somewhere else with that. . . ;D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Because of that, there are some things I won't use IOT, but others... if someone turns my lights on and off, I don't really care. I just keep it behind a firewall on a different subnet.

LOL, yeah... Nice to know I'm not alone. :Thmbsup: