ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2021

NANY 2021: MoveFileHere

(1/3) > >>

Nod5:
Application Name MoveFileHere Version 2022-01-09 Short Description AutoHotkey tool to quickly move newest file from Downloads to the active File Explorer folder in Windows 10. Supported OSes Windows 10 Web Page https://github.com/nod5/MoveFileHere Download Link Standalone EXE file  https://github.com/nod5/MoveFileHere/releases
AHK source file   https://github.com/nod5/MoveFileHere/blob/main/MoveFileHere.ahk

Description
A very small hotkey tool that I use all the time, now released for NANY in case other people also often move files soon after downloading them and find the sequence Right click, Click "Show in folder", Ctrl+X, Alt+Tab Tab Tab, Ctrl+V way too long :). With MoveFileHere you press F7 to move the latest downloaded file to the active Explorer folder. The hotkey and folder can be changed in settings. Copy and rename MoveFileHere.exe to e.g. MoveFileHere2.exe to set up multiple hotkeys and folders.
See GitHub README for more details.

Note: antivirus tools may incorrectly flag the AutoHotkey compiled .exe file. You can always install AutoHotkey and then compile MoveFileHere yourself from the .ahk source file or simply run the .ahk source directly.

MoveFileHere helps a workflow where we make the browser always download to a fixed Downloads folder and then quickly move the file elsewhere afterwards. Compare that to the workflow of quickly picking a custom download/save folder for each download using Listary or the small SaveAsPathHelper script I quickly made to mimic some Listary features.

After pressing F7 the user accepts the move with Enter, Space or Left Click. To instead cancel the move press Esc, F7 again or wait 2 seconds.

tomos:
Looking forward to trying this one :up:

EDIT// okay, needs Windows 10 -- will have to wait till later in the week ;)

anandcoral:
MoveFileHere helps a workflow where we make the browser always download to a fixed Downloads folder and then quickly move the file elsewhere afterwards. Compare that to the workflow of quickly picking a custom download/save folder for each download using Listary or the small SaveAsPathHelper script I quickly made to mimic some Listary features.
-Nod5 (December 30, 2020, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Looks interesting  :Thmbsup:

Regards,

Anand

tomos:
Trying the exe file in Windows 10.

Two things:

1) (minor) it doesnt recognise that the Download folder has been moved from it's default location (the new location is recognised correctly by File Explorer and Vivaldi). I edited the ini file to point to correct folder, so no real problem here

2) When I press F7, the name of the file to be moved shows as a tool tip type message (near the mouse pointer) but nothing is moved. If I click on the message I get this error:

---------------------------
MoveFileHere.exe
Error:  0x8000FFFF - Catastrophic failure

Specifically: hwnd

Line#
--->   161: if (window.hwnd = vHwnd) 

Continue running the script?
Yes   No   

Nod5:
Hi tomos, thanks for testing.

1) (minor) it doesnt recognise that the Download folder has been moved from it's default location (the new location is recognised correctly by File Explorer and Vivaldi). I edited the ini file to point to correct folder, so no real problem here
-tomos (January 16, 2021, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's a design choice, to keep the code simple.

2) When I press F7, the name of the file to be moved shows as a tool tip type message (near the mouse pointer) but nothing is moved. If I click on the message I get this error:
-tomos (January 16, 2021, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

After pressing F7 the user accepts the move with Enter, Space or Left Click. (To cancel Esc, F7 again or wait and it times out.) I documented that on GitHub, will add that to the first post here too.

The error you describe is a bug but I haven't found a way to reproduce it yet. It could be an issue with file permissions or Windows 10 security (partially) blocking the exe, hard to say.

If you have time to test more:

* Change the source folder location in the .ini again, to something other than the browser's download folder. Does moving files from that folder work?
* Try running the .ahk source file directly instead of the .exe (assuming you have AutoHotkey installed). Does that work?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version