ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2021

NANY 2021 Entry: The Lightning Bolt Quiz

<< < (4/6) > >>

Deozaan:
Here's what I see in this thread:

One person, let's call him the evangelist, who has a history of openly and often times annoyingly evangelizing, submitted a NANY which, you guessed it, evangelizes.

A bunch of other people, who are or probably have been annoyed by the evangelist in the past, jumped in the thread bragging about how "evil" they are, effectively trolling the evangelist into doing what he does: evangelize.

Once the evangelist falls for the bait, and responds with the expected evangelism, one or more people cry out, "Censor! Censor! Protect me from the rulebreaker!"

And the message that finally got the hammer to drop was one which took a pretty neutral tone and wished people Merry Christmas on Christmas day.

It makes multiple people in this thread look like crybullies, ganging up and picking on the evangelist, then acting like somehow they're the ones who were wronged. I expected better than that from long-time members of this forum.

I would argue that no one is being forced to read this thread. And due to the nature of the NANY submission, which is described as "a unique way to share the gospel of Jesus Christ," I would say that a little bit of religious discussion is on topic and warranted. Even though I disagree with the way it ("the gospel of Jesus Christ") is being shared, as I mentioned in my now-censored post.

Yes, politics, religion, and perhaps a few other things are generally verboten topics on this forum. But that has always been a soft line, and small exceptions where the discussion veered somewhat across the line have existed in the past. In them, a few mostly respectful, if not slightly heated, posts about politics and/or religion were made. And then, because it was usually off topic for the thread the posts were made in, or because of at least one warning from a moderator (but usually mouser) with the power to enforce the warning, the conversation was steered back to the topic on hand.

This hard-line censorship without warning, in a relatively milquetoast thread, all because someone said something some other person/people disagree with is new.

But as I said before. I've completed my re-education. So I couldn't be more thrilled that after 15 years of allowing respectful discussion of different viewpoints like what I described above to exist on this forum, this is now a place where people we don't like can be bullied into silence. And if they don't choose to be silenced by the bullying, at least they'll be silenced by the censorship. In a year as awful as 2020 has been, we can all be grateful that at least DonationCoder is a better place to be now that the dangerous practice of hearing ideas from people we think we disagree with is no longer allowed. This is the way. :Thmbsup:

EDIT: And keep in mind that I didn't name anybody, though it's pretty obvious who the evangelist is. So if you're not the evangelist and you think I've called you out, then maybe it's your own conscience telling you something. :-\

tomos:
^ You make a lot of very good points.
Especially:

Yes, politics, religion, and perhaps a few other things are generally verboten topics on this forum. But that has always been a soft line, and small exceptions where the discussion veered somewhat across the line have existed in the past. In them, a few mostly respectful, if not slightly heated, posts about politics and/or religion were made. And then, because it was usually off topic for the thread the posts were made in, or because of at least one warning from a moderator (but usually mouser) with the power to enforce the warning, the conversation was steered back to the topic on hand.
--- End quote ---

Some maybe relevant points:
I havent noticed (or had forgotten) this evengalising in the past that you speak of.
I dont think anyone intended to bully, but unfortunately it was disrespectful how we all hopped on the 'I'm evil' bandwagon :( and maybe boils down to bullying
I think my posts were taken as the "warning" by the moderator. (As I say above, I guess I prompted it as well.) Meaning the moving of the posts was not really 'without warning'. But I guess that's a minor point...

Deozaan:
Thank you for your thoughtful and humble response, tomos. I think you make a great example of why this site has been such a pleasure to be a part of for the past 15 years. :)

wraith808:
I moved the post, after reporting it.  It was not intended as censoring, just that it had already been asked that we not discuss by members, and the discussion continued.  We did the same thing on Coronavirus related concerns, the most recent being a few scant days ago, so to single this out as not that seemed a bit like it was an uneven application of the rules.  In the future, I'll just report such things for someone else to take care of, as it seems I stepped over a line or something.

Shades:
I moved the post, after reporting it.  It was not intended as censoring, just that it had already been asked that we not discuss by members, and the discussion continued.  We did the same thing on Coronavirus related concerns, the most recent being a few scant days ago, so to single this out as not that seemed a bit like it was an uneven application of the rules.  In the future, I'll just report such things for someone else to take care of, as it seems I stepped over a line or something.
-wraith808 (December 26, 2020, 07:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do with this what you will, but wraith808 was given the right to moderate, so by all means he should moderate. Maybe my indifference to religious matters clouds my vision, but I didn't see where wraith808 overstepped any line. Timely and consequent application of forum rules I personally appreciate more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version