ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

32bit Linux distro recommendations

<< < (4/5) > >>

Target:
and on it goes...

got Grub installed, and it boots to a menu listing Mint (woohoo...)

boot mint and splash screen comes up, but it resolves to a command prompt of some sort (with a 'type help for a list of commands' message)

meh...

Shades:
Sounds like you ended up in the Grub shell environment.

This forum post on the Linux Mint forum should be helpful.
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=735581&sid=360ea701712ce8c947c787727ed7f116#p735581

Also, a boot partition on a hard disk needs to have a specific bit set. This is normally managed by the installation software. More specifically, the automatic partition part of the installer.
You can check with partition management software (based on Linux/Windows, it doesn't matter) to check if that bit is set. Now it is unlikely that this bit got reset somewhere during your installation, but if it did, you can spend quite a while before you check this and find that this was the problem all along.

Linux Mint has a pretty descriptive manual for installing their operating system. Perhaps this page can help you find out what your problem is (the bottom half).

This is a link for fixing Grub from the Grub shell, if you want to go that way.

All these installation issues make you see Linux from a not so flattering side.

But Windows 10 also comes with its own problems. This is the latest one. 

Target:
thanks for that, I'll have to work through it :Thmbsup:

Sounds like you ended up in the Grub shell environment.
--- End quote ---

actually it was busybox (and that was referenced on one of those links, thanks!)

Also, a boot partition on a hard disk needs to have a specific bit set. This is normally managed by the installation software.
--- End quote ---

this is what I would have expected, but I'm going to have to work through this slowly cos I have no familiarity with nix setups.

I'm actually wondering if the setup isn't selecting the USB as the boot drive.  I noticed in the manual partition setup that was the default, but i'll need to dig into it a bit further

All these installation issues make you see Linux from a not so flattering side.
--- End quote ---

it does kind of take the shine off all that 'easy to use' propaganda :)

But Windows 10 also comes with its own problems.
--- End quote ---

fair to say thats pretty standard for windows 'updates' so it probably doesn't come as a surprise to anyone.

FWIW the SSD I used came out of my old win10 desktop.  The interesting bit is that the netbook booted into win10 straight away, no questions asked.  Impressed me no end considering whats under the hood

Shades:
FWIW the SSD I used came out of my old win10 desktop.  The interesting bit is that the netbook booted into win10 straight away, no questions asked.  Impressed me no end considering whats under the hood
-Target (December 19, 2020, 10:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gives me the impression that there is something going wrong with the boot partition on your drive. You better use a proper partition management tool to completely wipe all partitions from that SSD. On Windows my personal preference is MiniTool Partition Wizard. But Acronis is also OK. The partition manager built into Windows itself isn't that great, so I would not use that to wipe a drive clean. GParted on Linux is also OK to wipe all muck from a hard disk.

As a contrast, including the download of the installation iso (2.1 GByte) it took me about 20 minutes to install Pop! OS on my laptop, a Lenovo Yoga 500 (14IBD). The only thing I changed on that laptop was exchanging the 500GB hard-disk with a 120GB SSD (Samsung 850 EVO). Also a drive that was used as a boot drive in a Windows computer.

Swapping drives between Windows computers I have done before. Usually Windows will remain working if you swap from one Intel based system to another Intel based system. Or from a AMD based system to another AMD based system (especially when these processors are from the same "family"). Windows often balks when you swap from Intel to AMD or the other way around.

Target:
Gives me the impression that there is something going wrong with the boot partition on your drive. You better use a proper partition management tool to completely wipe all partitions from that SSD. On Windows my personal preference is MiniTool Partition Wizard. But Acronis is also OK. The partition manager built into Windows itself isn't that great, so I would not use that to wipe a drive clean. GParted on Linux is also OK to wipe all muck from a hard disk.-Shades (December 20, 2020, 03:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

thats a pretty safe bet  ;D

FWIW the drives been wiped a few times now (its part of the mint setup) so a windows based solution is out of the question.

My guess is that the boot procedure is pointing to the wrong place, but I don't know how to diagnose that

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version