ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

32bit Linux distro recommendations

<< < (3/5) > >>

Target:
Update - tonite I was able to successfully install mint BUT grub (apparently) failed to install.

One step forward and...

Target:
My previous response was a little stronger than I intended. I guess I'm still disappointed in my purchase I made all those years ago. :D-Deozaan (December 17, 2020, 01:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

HA!  its all good, but its interesting to see how long the sour taste of a disappointing purchase lasts!!

One of the most lightweight Linux distributions (with a desktop environment) I remember having success with on my netbook was CrunchBang. Unfortunately it has been discontinued for many years now.
--- End quote ---

seems like there are a couple of forks - here's one

4wd:
I installed Bodhi Linux on my Acer Aspire One, (Atom N270), and it ran well, you need the Legacy release.

Target:
been looking at the setup again this morning and it appears that in order to install you must already have a suitably partitioned disk

I ran through the (mint) install again but used the options to setup partitions for boot and install...

still didn't work though...

4wd:
If your netbook is anything like the one I bought ~10 years ago then it was pretty much obsolete trash when it was brand new. Throw that thing in the dumpster  and buy a $50-100 Raspberry Pi which is a zillion times better and can run modern 64-bit operating systems.-Deozaan (December 16, 2020, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Or install a Linux distro on it and sell it on ebay for $50, then buy a new RasPi ... like I did last year ;)

But seriously for what it was back then, a sub-1kg netbook that could let me browse, email, etc, didn't cost the Earth (unlike other lightweight options), and that travelled at least 3 times around the planet (throw it in a neoprene sleeve then into the backpack) ... it was brilliant.

Especially when compared to my previous 15" laptop that weighed 2.5kg that I dragged around the planet, (through UK, Europe, Russia, Mongolia, China) ... that gets old very, very quickly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version