topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Lightweight App that displays files in folders/subfolders & allows launching  (Read 24691 times)

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh, I almost forget about my own project located here.

Due no wishes or replies at all to this project, it was not developed any further.
If needed I can produce a full customized built of it.

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh, I almost forget about my own project located here.

Due no wishes or replies at all to this project, it was not developed any further.
If needed I can produce a full customized built of it.

Yes, I tried that app and it was very fast in loading the files, but the interface was a little overwhelming for my needs.
 I would very very much appreciate a customized version!!  I know this is super nit-picky (and I'm sorry, lol)  but here's a general layout:

Here's a picture of the design (see attached below) some technical criteria to consider:
1. Should list only files in a subfolder called "Data" located in its own directory. For example, a user places a folder called "Data" in the app's directory and the app reads it from there.

2. The main types of files that will be launched/printed:
  • RTF files
    PDF files
    LNK files (short to RDP file)
    .URL (web site)

3. No menu bar needed or desired as it will clutter the interface.  One can quit the app using top right X.
3. Be able to read & list up to 20-30,000 files in multiple directories. Your apps are lightning fast so I don't see this as a problem.
4. You can put generic names in the titles "AppTitle"  and I can modify those in the source code.
5. Settings window allows to configure font, & font size & relative data path

Other considerations:
1. I assume since these are made in AHK there will be no dependencies or prerequisite software
2. I will be avoiding using MPRESS or UPX compression as I need to avoid the identification of this software as malware by McAfee AV. I checked splaylistmaker as an example, and happy to say most brand name AVs don't mark the app as malware) :)
3. Source code is needed to make very basic (non-programming) adjustments if needed.
4. I know this is a standard for all your apps, I would need it to be completely portable (store all settings in config.ini like your other brilliant apps). 
5.  I would need to be able to launch the app via USB key so making the directories relative (e.g. \Data vs C:\Data) is of critical importance.
6. Should not access network since all files will be stored locally

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here you go.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Hi Girkov!   I'm sorry I missed yours + all these other posts. For some reason I got only 1 notification from D.C. about a reply (KodeZwerg's first reply) and never got notified about the others :( Anyhoo, I tried the app and unfortunately there was  several problems:
1) Launching a PDF from the directory causes a command prompt to open but not the file itself
2) The window can't seem to be resized properly
3) The app takes 5 times longer than other apps to open the folder with 20,000 files in it
4)  no search-as-you-type search field functionality :(

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, I tried that app and it was very fast in loading the files, but the interface was a little overwhelming for my needs.
 I would very very much appreciate a customized version!!
Adjusting the surface as it is shown in your picture is the least problem.
Yes it is lightning fast because I use PIDL techniques. (the content shown comes directly from windows, my program does not have to read the directory)

Here's a picture of the design (see attached below) some technical criteria to consider:
1. Should list only files in a subfolder called "Data" located in its own directory. For example, a user places a folder called "Data" in the app's directory and the app reads it from there.
This is not a challenge, so yes, it can be done.

2. The main types of files that will be launched/printed:
  • RTF files
    PDF files
    LNK files (short to RDP file)
    .URL (web site)
Limiting the output to your desired file extensions is no hurdle.

3. No menu bar needed or desired as it will clutter the interface.  One can quit the app using top right X.
Read what I wrote above, so yes.

4. You can put generic names in the titles "AppTitle"  and I can modify those in the source code.
I can provide this option via .ini functionality.
(the source text for my program does not exist. this is my intellectual property and it stays with it)

5. Settings window allows to configure font, & font size & relative data path
I still have to think about that.

1. I assume since these are made in AHK there will be no dependencies or prerequisite software
My program was developed with the Delphi programming language and not with AHK.
But yes, it is independent and only requires basic WindowsOS resources.

2. I will be avoiding using MPRESS or UPX compression as I need to avoid the identification of this software as malware by McAfee AV. I checked splaylistmaker as an example, and happy to say
When the time comes, I can offer an uncompressed version.

3. Source code is needed to make very basic (non-programming) adjustments if needed.
That will not happen. It has to be enough that I offer my programs free of charge without asking for a fee.

4. I know this is a standard for all your apps, I would need it to be completely portable (store all settings in config.ini like your other brilliant apps). 
As already said a bit above, yes no problem.

5.  I would need to be able to launch the app via USB key so making the directories relative (e.g. \Data vs C:\Data) is of critical importance.
Being portable is and always has been my goal when creating applications.

6. Should not access network since all files will be stored locally
Since the wish was only expressed in a certain subfolder of the program itself to look for folders and files, this remark is obsolete.

Please read everything that is said in this letter very carefully.
If you have a problem with one of my statements, tell me.
As long as I don't hear from you, nothing will be done on my part.
That was it on my part for the time being.

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi @KodeZwerg! Thank you VERY much for your consideration!

Adjusting the surface as it is shown in your picture is the least problem.

Sounds great!

Yes it is lightning fast because I use PIDL techniques. (the content shown comes directly from windows, my program does not have to read the directory)

I'll take lightning fast :D

This is not a challenge, so yes, it can be done.

Perfect!

Limiting the output to your desired file extensions is no hurdle.

You can ignore the request for limiting the output of the desired file.  If we're limiting the view to the subfolder /Data then that'll be a given so there's no need to waste your time writing extra code to limit what files to read. :D

Read what I wrote above, so yes.

Sounds great.

I can provide this option via .ini functionality.
(the source text for my program does not exist. this is my intellectual property and it stays with it)

Agreed! That works for me.

I still have to think about that.

Don't worry about this.  I've thought about it and it's really not that important to me.

My program was developed with the Delphi programming language and not with AHK.
But yes, it is independent and only requires basic WindowsOS resources.

When the time comes, I can offer an uncompressed version

Agreed on all points above!!

That will not happen. It has to be enough that I offer my programs free of charge without asking for a fee.

That's reasonable. Since it's written in Delphi I doubt I can make any reasonable modifications anyways, LOL!! :D

Being portable is and always has been my goal when creating applications.

Thank you for that.  It's amazing to me how many non-portable software programs there are out there (not speaking in relation to donation coder, of course as 99% of the software here is portable)

Since the wish was only expressed in a certain subfolder of the program itself to look for folders and files, this remark is obsolete

Yep, you're right.

I'd like to ask one more question if I may. Brace yourself, lol, I think this one is really out of the question since it is a big ask but I wanted to run it by you just in case.
Would it be  possible for the app to read the files inside a ZIP file as the data?  The reason I ask if copying 25,000 files is a real chore especially having to do it over & over a network; copy  1 large zip file would make things super easier.  I don't know what the performance would be like, but if it makes things super-complicated or slows things to a crawl just reading the files then I would cross this last point out. 

Let me know what your thoughts are about this and thanks again for even being willing to consider. 

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi @KodeZwerg! Thank you VERY much for your consideration!
You are welcome!

I'd like to ask one more question if I may.
Ask as much as you can to have the best result whats possible!
Let's create something perfect instead of wasting my time designing something that I like but you don't.
For developers there isn't too much information, rather the opposite, there is a lack of communication.
So let's work together to realize what you actually need, just don't hold back with questions!

Brace yourself, lol, I think this one is really out of the question since it is a big ask but I wanted to run it by you just in case.
Would it be  possible for the app to read the files inside a ZIP file as the data?  The reason I ask if copying 25,000 files is a real chore especially having to do it over & over a network; copy  1 large zip file would make things super easier.  I don't know what the performance would be like, but if it makes things super-complicated or slows things to a crawl just reading the files then I would cross this last point out. 

Let me know what your thoughts are about this and thanks again for even being willing to consider.
I am sorry if I may understand it wrong, thats why I reask to be sure.
If I unterstand that correctly, you don't want to have a normal explorer replacement anymore and everything said is obsolete, instead you want a GUI for one large zip container?
My first thought is, all my speed bonus is gone at once since I can not work with PIDL anymore.
(The FileShell tool from me can already look into zip files, but I do not have any control about content.)
I like to admit that I haven't have any experience with opening and displaying a zip container that contains 30,000 files!
I wrote that my high performance was due to the Windows PIDL mechanism, but I wasn't being completely honest about that.
The high boost comes from the fact that I only load and evaluate what can be shown on the screen.
Whether I can do the same with zip content is a rumor at first.
I can already think of a few basic tricks how I'm not the slowest on the market, but whether I can do it all ... phew ...
The problem with the speed is due to the fact what a zip file actually is and how you can address it.
The wish to be able to call up files from the zip is granted, although I still classify printing as problematic.

My suggestion would be to test my FileShell program with your zip file. so just double-click plus wait and drink tea (I have no Idea how long it needs).
Another problem could be icons, in the real file system I can read them out and display them without any problems, but how it all comes across in zips ... tell me
I will soon upload a version in advance so that you can decide how we should proceed. Deal?

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sounds good man! Happy to test out the file shell app and see how it functions. Should I use the original one posted above or the custom one you’re making?

The new info I provided  was when the app launched it would read the files in the zip files as folder structures and if I needed to launch one of the files, I just double click And boom it launches the PDF or RTF file in the default app in the system. 

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sounds good man! Happy to test out the file shell app and see how it functions. Should I use the original one posted above or the custom one you’re making?
As said, FileShell has already zpi file capability, try it with your xxl zip ;)
But I did not tested much... I did integrate a color scheme, red means file is not physical present, I guess that all files will be marked red.

The new info I provided  was when the app launched it would read the files in the zip files as folder structures and if I needed to launch one of the files, I just double click And boom it launches the PDF or RTF file in the default app in the system.
The Demo that I will soon provide, will have first of all "listing files inside archive" capability, extract files to run them will be no problem.

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As said, FileShell has already zpi file capability, try it with your xxl zip ;)
But I did not tested much... I did integrate a color scheme, red means file is not physical present, I guess that all files will be marked red.

Yes, I just tried this out and it works beautifully!! I am left to wonder if it's better for the app to go to a data.zip, but the only problem with that is that I don't think FileShell will be able to have a search field with search-as-you-type functionality I'm assuming.    Looking forward to a demo.

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member
First, download Editpad 3 (portable). It is a text editor, but look closely in the folder for the program ''minipath.exe.''

Download Editpad3

rWHMugw.jpgLightweight App that displays files in folders/subfolders & allows launching

This little file browser might enjoy you..

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
First, download Editpad 3 (portable). It is a text editor, but look closely in the folder for the program ''minipath.exe.''

Download Editpad3

[ Invalid Attachment ]

This little file browser might enjoy you..

Unfortunately there's no search functionality that would be really needed :(

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member

You ever worked with Everything from Voidtools ?

69057c57fc905f6527fe55962ef5ca60.gifLightweight App that displays files in folders/subfolders & allows launching

Another workaround might be indexing the folder structure first using the free tool Snap2HTML

Capture.JPGLightweight App that displays files in folders/subfolders & allows launching
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:49 AM by n8wachT »

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

You ever worked with Everything from Voidtools ?

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Another workaround might be indexing the folder structure first using the free tool Snap2HTML

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Hi n8wachT.

1. I use Everything daily and it's wicked fast, but unfortunately it opens windows in Explorer menu which is something we don't want.
2. Yes, I already mastered Snap2HTML.  In fact, I worked for almost 12 hours trying to make it as an app using DecSoft App Builder only to find out after many days of work later that due to a windows limitation it doesn't work when rendered as an app.   As HTML and running Chrome as an app, it's the closest thing I've found so far to a small and fast dedicated app.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
omfg, i total forgot about this task, i am more than sorry man!!!

trust me, next week you get my sample!!
please excuse, i was very busy, had my mind filled with other things.

have faith  :-*

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
omfg, i total forgot about this task, i am more than sorry man!!!

trust me, next week you get my sample!!
please excuse, i was very busy, had my mind filled with other things.

have faith  :-*

No worries!  Of course life happens and I understand. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.